My Frankenstein Project Input Please

GoldenMotor.com

EnergyUpdaters.com

Jun 27, 2008
Ok so I have been put together around 40 or so Motorized Bikes and I am starting to see a trend that in califorinia for what ever reason CARB decided that the 2cycle engines are no good. So I got into looking at Ebikes and the thing I noticed was, everyone had troubles with finding a good battery to get you far and if you did find one it is expensive. So I came up with a plan :)

Ok well have you seen those grey hound 2.5 HP engines from harbor freight? well what if you hooked up a car alternator to it and the used the power from that alternator to power a hub motor? would that work? has any body tried this? Califorina laws say that the motor powering the bike can be no bigger then 2HP, but the motor would only act as a power supply for the 500w or 1000w hub motor. Yea Yea Yea I know most of you will say why would you do all that frankenstein stuff with two motors and all but little do most people dont know is that most Trains use this set up to go from A to Z. the have big deisel motors that power electric hubs. Imagine all the cool upsides up electric like no chain and all the good stuff of gas like no battery's!!!!! well give me your input please!!!

here is a picture of the motor alternator setup! scroll down to the bottom http://www.green-trust.org/products/

Last edited:

dmaddalena

Jan 2, 2010
los altos, ca
Interesting idea, especially if it means you could run diesel like the trains. That would be sweet in my opinion because you could run bio-d. Would it be a far heavier setup? Or could you do the whole thing with a lighter engine? That is, do you need 2.5 hp, or would a smaller engine work?

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Well Energy, I did just what you are asking about. I have not posted about it here because I was going to wait until it was completely done. Note- I would NEVER do all this work if I lived in a gasbike legal state like Cal. Chains are much more reliable than a bunch of electric stuff. A lot more efficient than driving an alternator too.

HF79 + Delco alternator (with a 24 volt regulator from a vendor on e-bay) + stretched mountain bike frame + 450w scooter motor (chain drive via jackshaft) + twin 12v batteries, + controller.........etc.
Bike goes about 15 mph good power. Handles nice and weighs just under 110lbs
New York passed a e-bike bill and needs the gov's signature, so at least e-bikes will be legal here, thus the big effort to do this bike.
I don't want to deal with expensive batteries to get decent range. I don't need to go fast either and want quiet. I like it, will do a post in a while.