Another HF Engine To Consider

GoldenMotor.com

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
Hey all,
I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this Harbor Freight generator. 2 cycle, 2 hp, 63cc engine. Oooooh! and a 1 Gal. (US) fuel tank!
Looks to be a horizontal cyl. from the manual.I'm most curious about the driveshaft and mounting. I just got a coupon for 20% off and the flyer price is $89.99. Actually, I got a crud-load of 20% coupons. Went dumpster diving since the coupon is good 'till Dec. 31!
Well, it looks like I'm headed to Harbor Freight tomorrow to check it out. Heck, I'd rather have a small generator at the ready instead of a post hole digger!
Nutz
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

TheOtherStyle

Mar 27, 2009
SE WI
Thanks for posting that gennie, I could use something like that for the tour I want to take in the summer.
FairRacing31, how does that gennie do for running stuff? Any problems with running it for long periods of time?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Thanks for posting that gennie, I could use something like that for the tour I want to take in the summer.
FairRacing31, how does that gennie do for running stuff? Any problems with running it for long periods of time?
The longest I ran it was about 2 hours using a battery charger. I've used it to run lights, drill, small air compressor, among other things. It runs kinda crappy when it's cold but once it warms up it does just fine.

So far it has been flawless other then if it's gonna sit for a while it's good ideal to turn the fuel off and run the fuel out of the bowl or drain it. And the stock plug fouled out in the first 20 seconds of firing it up. I stuck a old autolite 425 from my china girl motor and have been running it ever since.

It weighs a little over 40* full of fuel

ut1205

Jul 4, 2009
Tennessee
I have the same generator. I run it about 30 minutes per month under load and in 2 years I haven't done anything to it. Mine says it's rated at 1200 watts(about 10 amps) but when I tried to run a 5.5 amp window A/C unit it popped the breaker after about five minutes then it took thirty minutes to cool down enough to reset.

I find the output to be usuable for lighting but very unstable. A change of just a few rpm's will make the lights vary slightly in brightness. Drives me crazy. I would not use for electronic equipment. Seems to be more stable at high loading.

As far as M/B application, what kind of clutch would fit it?

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
i,m not sure of the shaft configuration on the generators and water pumps some units have a tapered shaft some have a threaded shaft and some have a strait shaft .
only way to tell is to take it apart , my motor had a 16mm shaft ( .630 ) . i ran the motor and took the shaft down to 5/8 ( .625 ) with sand paper while the shaft was spinning . i use a 5/8 centrifical clutch on mine . if you do this , keep the shaft pointed slightly downward so the sanding grit falls mostly away from the motor , and use a degreaser and shop vac to clean the rest ( don,t blow it off with compressed air )

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
12lb generator

There are a few of these Tiny Tigers on EBay. Made by OHLSSON AND RICE in the 60's. Definitely light enough for rack mount.
eBay
If the link doesn't work, go to ebay and search on Tiny Tiger in the Home and Garden area.

Last edited:

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Cabinfever- I bet you are right. My buddy at work knows I am messing with motorized bikes and just gave me one of those generators which has a burned out generator but runs. Will let this post know what I find tonight when I take it apart. Am real curious about what is in there.

Last edited:

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I don't know if the unit I got is the same as a HF- sure looks like it. You can forget about buying one of these engines for just using the engine if it is.

There is a taper fit between the engine output and the generator.

I did not know how these things come apart, so I started by slicing off the generator housing (the gen. part bieng shot, whatever I do there didn't matter) which is part of the engine case on the drive side.
After more than an hour or so of chopping and pounding, trying to save as much of the output shaft as possible, I finally sawzalled the shaft between them.

Here is a pic of the demolition results:

Then seeing the taper fit onto what was left of the generator shaft (.945"), I put a puller on that and even with a lot of heat, it is still on. Had to cool the engine shaft quickly to keep from wrecking the seal.
I will say this- the engine has a lot of compression. It's pretty big and it weighs a lot too -15# without the hefty muffler.
To compare- my old Techumseh 98c 6hp weighs 10#.

If you are good at fabrication and get one for free- grab it.
A motor mount can be made and a pulley welded on to what is left of the generator shaft to make it usable.

Last edited: