Petrol powered MB banned in NSW, Australia

GoldenMotor.com

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
Here is a proper thread on the new legal requirements in NSW, Australia

NSW to ban petrol-powered bicycles

Petrol-powered bicycles will be outlawed under a new plan to curb deaths on NSW's roads, the state government says.

The ban comes after three people died while riding petrol-powered bikes in NSW last year, including a 14-year-old boy in Sydney's west. Another 40 were injured.

The ban will begin on October 1.

Under the government's new rules all bikes with internal combustion engines will be banned, with fines of up to $2500 for those breaking the law.

The electric pedelec bikes still be allowed.

Roads minister Duncan Gay said many of the petrol-powered bikes were "backyard jobs", which weren't built safely.

"We've seen too many injuries and lives lost because of these bikes," Mr Gay said on Friday.

"These bikes can travel at high speeds but their brakes and other safety components are only designed for standard bikes.

"This means they take much longer to stop than a standard bike."

The new laws close a loophole that allowed petrol-powered bikes to be on NSW roads while petrol-powered skateboards and scooters were banned.

The rules follow restrictions already in place in Queensland.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...n-petrol-powered-bicycles#kI9MIWR6ILCjlvkk.99

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Just wondering this ban is for road use correct? They are not banning them from off-highway use or private land use as well? Or are they?

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
Just wondering this ban is for road use correct? They are not banning them from off-highway use or private land use as well? Or are they?
australia has pathetic laws to answer you that would be private land use only an i'll bet that electric drive can only be a max of 200watt

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
There is nothing stopping you putting on a 200Watt sticker on a 1KW motor.

can you tell the difference? or even just remove the sticker.

I have never seen an ebike being pulled over by the 5-oh before.

I think i will start saving for my next build now. an ebike. I think its only a matter of time before the ACT follows suit.

There are some nice 1650W mid-drive kits from OZ suppliers on the net.

NEWS FLASH NEWS FLASH

cars banned from roads as they kill too many people.. <<<< Yeah right. (TUI)

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
nope i haven't an personally i don't care for what the "law" says i'll be looking at sick bike parts e-drive to do a hybrid type setup...

as for oz suppliers i won't bother they are a rip off the prices they want to charge

apex

Aug 27, 2013
indy
How is a homebuilt electric safer that a gas powered homebuilt.

Answer:

It isn't.

A lot of the fields I fly rc aircraft in have banned gas power because its dangerous.
I have seen more fires started by batteries than by nitro.
And you have to actually flip-start a gas motor. Prop injuries from electrics are much more common due to mishandling than gas.
But they are approximately 20% quieter, big deal.