Adding rust to motor???

GoldenMotor.com

NewOrleansFlyer

Jun 27, 2011
Montana
Odd question I know. Lots of threads telling me how to get rid of rust, but I've seen some pics of some really cool BTRs with rusty engines. I can tell the motor is new (China Girl) but the jug, head, and lower end all look like they've been sitting around forever. I don't think engine paint comes in "rust", and I don't think the regular Rusto "rust" color would stay on the motor...that heat thang. Anyway, I know a few techniques to add rust to steel, etc. but can anybody tell me a good method for "rusting" a motor? Thanks4
Flyer

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
You might find anodising brown without any polishing gets close, as it's not an iron barrel.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Actually an aluminum case doesn't 'rust' but it does corrode. Aluminum, if you want it to look old and used, 'distressed is the term,' you'll want it dark, blotchy grey with white specks.

Gun shops will carry a product called 'browning'. It is a mild acid based solution that gives steel that old, antique look used by gun restorers. I tried in once on an aluminum model airplane engine and it indeed made it look like old weathered metal.

Good luck and show us what you come up with. Interesting project.

Tom

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I like the idea of a rusty old looking motor. I think there are enough colors of hi temp engine paint to make it work if you make multi layered sprays in a light passing spray of the can. I would also experiment with a torch. If I get up on my hind legs someday I'll show you any valid results.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
And, you don't need hi-temp paint. I've painted several engines with Dupli-Color auto touch-up spray, Rustoleum, and Krylon, and never had a problem. These little engines don't run near as hot as people believe. The immediate area near the exhaust port is the hottest but my paint has always stayed on and retained color.

I try to apply the paint in a light coat on the cooling fins of the head and cylinder but that's for better heat disssipation.

Tom

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Thanks for the info, Tom. That opens up so many more possibilities. Brushes, wire brushes, sponges, etc. are great ways to achieve a faux finish, good ideas Kirk.

I just did a quick google on "faux rust finish" and there's lots of ideas there.

NewOrleansFlyer

Jun 27, 2011
Montana
Hey, thanks for all the info. I think I've got some direction now, including from modellers who frequently use cinnamon, nutmeg, and paprika over wet paint! I'm gonna try some test parts, but aluminum is not as easy as steel to get a good finish. Again, thanks for the help..I'll post pics when I get something I like.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
I had pretty good luck spraying with a flat rust colored paint but then dabbing with iron oxide (dry) with a brush. You can get iron oxide online pretty cheap.