Sportsman Pedal Power

GoldenMotor.com

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
They make fake V-Twin AGM battery cases for the electric Stingray chopper bicycles, you could make it a gear box I bet with some modification. Sharp bike Pat, imagine the sigh of relief from the curmudgeons when they see you coming, but don't hear any rattatat coming out the back, lol.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Awesome bike! Will this or a variation of it be available on the site at some point? Just a thought but what about one of your tanks without the cap, but with a place for a vintage style tank horn? I could see making it a very limited edition when you feel inspired to do so.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Here it is all finished up. These pedal bikes go together quick. I threw on some Felt Circuit tires, installed the front brake cable and finished up the tank, I mean filler panel logo.

Sportsman Pedal Bikes by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Also made some progress on the pedal boardie. It still needs a paint job. Harold, I am kicking around making a phony narrow gas tank for added storage and a vintage style horn or batteries for lights could go in there. Kind of like the phoney tanks put on the old Schwinn ballon tire bikes. That will have to wait for now as the motor bikes need serious attention.

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Just a quick update. I have been enjoying the pedal cruiser a lot, and the two speed kickback hub works great. I worked out a nice mount bracket for my boardie style seat so thought I would test it out on the cruiser. Allows me to mount the seat to a regular seat clamp and layback post. I am used to boardie seats mounted as low as possible so running it up higher so I can still pedal gives the bike a whole new look. This bike is like a luxury liner compared to my boardies!

Sportsman Pedal Cruiser by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Refreshing! How is the weight?
Weight isn't too bad. Been trying to lay off the beers! Seriously, though, I tried to keep the weight down on the bike and the strength reasonable. I used .080" wall tube instead of .120" DOM like on my bigger bikes. It's still very strong but is decent as far as old 1950's era cruisers go. I'll try to throw it on a scale.

NicksGarage

Aug 26, 2013
San Diego, CA
Just a quick update. I have been enjoying the pedal cruiser a lot, and the two speed kickback hub works great. I worked out a nice mount bracket for my boardie style seat so thought I would test it out on the cruiser. Allows me to mount the seat to a regular seat clamp and layback post. I am used to boardie seats mounted as low as possible so running it up higher so I can still pedal gives the bike a whole new look. This bike is like a luxury liner compared to my boardies!

Sportsman Pedal Cruiser by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr
I really like this. Very clean. It would be interesting to see the crankset moved up to where the engine crankcase would be.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Finally got around to finishing up my pedal power boardie. The orange is a cool color and depending on the lighting it takes on many different shades. These evening photos really stand out. I sure like the way this thing came out! It's a lot of fun to ride, too. It's so light without an engine and handles great. I was bombing it down the hill out front and just carving it up. Reminds me why bicycles are so much fun!

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
I have a new china two stroke engine kicking around the shop and figured I might motorize one of my pedal bicycles with it. Since I never added engine mounts to either bicycle and they are already painted I wanted to make a mount system that would be a complete bolt in and also center the smaller engine into the bigger frame opening. Here is what I have so far.

Sportsman Pedal Bicycle by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Sportsman Pedal Bicycle by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

There are a couple frame tabs that clamp directly to the frame tubes and carry the main filler plates. From there I built an engine support cradle that is carried by the main plates. The cradle bracket is slotted so the engine can then slide forward or backward to give added chain adjustment. Still a work in progress. I figure with a little thought I can adapt this mount or a similar one to a 79cc HF engine, or some of the other small four strokes and maybe even a Whizzer engine. By using bolt in tabs I can change the engine later if I want without messing up a nice paint job.