What Went Wrong?

GoldenMotor.com

willgarner42

Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Hello one and all, I have had this engine for 6 months, it would start right up, run good. and then I had to put it up for a month do to work and family, I went to ride the thing and it would not start up. I have changed out the fuel line, changed the gas tank, pulled and replaced the carburetor put the old one on a lawnmower and it worked great, the new one leaked gas every where so placed the old one back on. New spark plug, changed CDI box tested old one and it works.

So I dont get it, I have taken it to the down hills and it sounds like it wants to start but just cant, Thought it was not getting a spark but I have taken it out put on the head and pushed the bicycle and a nice blue spark. gas on on the spark plug nice not to dark but that brown color, So checked carb it works just fine on the lawnmower cut the side of the house grass with on it, so jet good to go. the bicycle with plug out sounds good, plug in and you have to have clutch in or the tire just will not turn.

check list:
yes gas is on,
yes getting spark
yes new gas with 20 to 1 mix
spark plug set at 35 works for me I have one other bicycle and its at 25 so dont figure.

So what have I over looked? muffler ?

Some please point me to what this could be.zpt

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
20:1 is quite rich, think you're fouling a plug. Usually after break-in, most will run 32:1 (4oz to a gallon) some will run 50:1 (2.5oz to a gallon) with the higher quality oils.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Judging from where you live, have you inspected the muffler outlet to make sure that some dirt dabbers haven't filled the hole with a mud nest?

Good luck in your search!

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
A 25 to 28 plug gap is about right for these engines, the wide gap plug may fire on the head but may not under compression.

willgarner42

Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Ok oil is 50/1 dont know why I said 20/1 its the one for sport motors, ok how many thought bad motor? how many thought oil ? how many thought tat some small bug could stop a motor?

answer bug in muffler, 1 1/2 inches of dirt and some type of yellow green stuff, after clean out motor ran great.

Thanks for the help would have not thought of that. I now put a plug in after motor gets cold..we.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yes. I remember an old happy time I had that, moderately slowly, lost power. It took me a while to think to check the exhaust. I found that was clogged up with soot. After cleaning it out the engine ran like new. For a while. I think it was a rusted clutch that finally finished that engine.

I"m glad it all worked out for you.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Dirt daubers are quite a hassle down south. ANY hole will attract them.
Leave the plug out a few hours on a summer day and watch if you don't believe it...
And it's quite interesting watching someone take a drink out of a open soft drink can only to surprise a yellow jacket having a sip as well...

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Sometimes, an old red-neck gets it right! .scratg

The 'yellow/green stuff' was the baby dirt dabbers in the mud nest.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I learned about dirt daubers in Pauls Vally Ok.
Grandpa showed me what they did to his tiller motor while he was fixing a leak one summer.
Completely filled every single fin over a few days. Looked like it was water cooled!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It is why they have covers for the air speed indicator pitot on airplanes. That little hole in the front of them is an attractive home to dirt daubers. Part of any pre-flight inspection is to check the pitot for obstructions.
Never thought of them clogging a motorbike muffler though, but it makes sense. And those little buggers work fast too.

Tom