sprocket dished out?

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
My only issue with grinding is that it removes wear surface from the sprocket and may shorten it's useful life. The stock 44 I took off the Pig recently was much more worn than I would have expected. I guess the sprockets are made from cheap steel.
Big surprise.
Using HD chain like I do means the chain is wider and lays on the sprocket easier which makes grinding really serve little purpose besides shortening sprocket life.
All this being said, I have run across kits that had poorly shaped FRONT sprockets which grabbed the rollers much too tight and required grinding to run free. I just carefully broke the hard angles at the tips of each tooth so the roller could slide fully down in the valley.
Please disregard if you were talking about the FRONT rather than the rear.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I've also ran into front drive sprockets that just didn't let the chain run smooth. I have enough good used parts around that I simply change it out for a better one. I suppose I could take it to the grinder, But why spend the time when I've got another one just laying there doing nothing but taking up space. But yeah, It happens, And if ya don't have an extra one then yer gonna hafta grind on it some.
fatdaddy.