Liability waiver help

GoldenMotor.com

walander

Aug 27, 2010
ID
Hey, I have been building bikes for a bit now. But I am selling so many, its starting to turn into a business, and if its a business, I know I need some kind of liability waiver or something, I once read a thread on this ( searched, cant find it) where a few people said they had theres drawn up by attorneys. Any one care to share? what should all should it include? thanks for your help

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Get a lawyer. (I don't say that often, even where I work.) Try to find one who specializes in business law, related to small businesses and limited liability. He can tell you about other things too, like what kind of insurance is best, or required, to carry. He can tell you numerous ways to protect yourself and your business. Whatever money you spend on a consultation will definitely be cheaper than what you could get sued for.

You're talking to a man who will be missing Spooky Tooth for some time. I want to see MB businesses grow and thrive, not die off. If you're doing what you love, then do it well, but also guard yourself. We riders care about you builders and MB shop owners.

walander

Aug 27, 2010
ID
Yeah, I guess im going to have to go to a lawyer, best to cover my butt.
As for how I sell them, well, I started with craigslist but got flagged so often that now they just ghost me before my ad goes live. So I hit up the town with flyers, got called by a guy who owns a consignment shop, so now I have them there too. But the very best way to sell them, hands down, is to be seen. Get some business cards, print up a brochure, and ride around, you will get stopped dozens of times, when you do, hand out your cards and brochures. I offer an incentive program too, If some one who buys my one of my bikes wants to participate, I give them some of my cards, if they refer someone who actualy buys a bike, Ill give them a kick back in the form of a discount off a future purchase or a free "upgrade", I let them pick between a speedo or a headlight or something along those lines. I am a ebay powerseller, and running a successful ebay business and running any other business has the same principals, people have to know your out there, advertise all over the place, tell everyone, start a facebook page, network, network ,network! its like a snowball affect. Also, price them low at first, your goal is to get them out and have them seen. as you become bigger, raise the price, make sure your still making money, but dont plan on getting rich, not yet anyways.

Houseworth_t

Feb 20, 2011
San Clemente
wow your doing great with consignments and all business card and incentive programs that is awesome. I have noticed a lot of looks while driving along was thinking of putting forsale signs on it. If you don't mind me asking where do you purchase your engine kits from i am in CA so shipping is limited there is a local store here i bought a few of those supposedly CA smog certified dont know how but costing 230 for 66cc kit with almost all the parts seems like a ripoff compared to what i have seen online and all.

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Mine is a semi blatant plagerization from KC Kruisers and other sites

I'm selling a woman three this weekend and she has ordered at least three more

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
I sell about 3 a month not even trying..
Like the other guy said.. Print out a brochure and a bunch of business cards and hand em out.
Posting at the bus stops helps tremendously.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I am certainly not an expert on this subject, but have looked into insurance, a waiver, etc. Bicycle manufacturers insurance was only $1750 a year which I thought very resonable. As soon as I mentioned engines, though, then it jumped to $500 a month. You can form an "LLC" or limited liability corporation to protect your personal assets. If you get sued then the business get's sued, not your home.