Police Hypocrisy...............

GoldenMotor.com

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
watever mate... I cant be bothered arguing about something when we are basically saying the same thing.
Who's arguing?
You said try to be invisible, I said, ride as if your invisible...
We weren't saying the same thing.
Totally different inferences there.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
Breno, if you want the stories,marry a police woman like I did.
I'd tell you guys stories but I'd just bore you.

Steve
yeah dont worry I get some funny stories too.. my wife works at customs u'd b suprised some of the stuff ppl try to get away with.

Last edited:

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
Who's arguing?
You said try to be invisible, I said, ride as if your invisible...
We weren't saying the same thing.
Totally different inferences there.

I'm sorry mate but you might need to elaborate the difference between the 2.
if you were to ride as if you were invisible are you not tying to ride as if you were invisible?? I dunno mate u will have to fill me in on the dif.?
Obviously I've touched a nerve my apologises as this was not intended.
Cheers Breno.santa
Merry Xmas

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
You said TRY TO BE invisible as in, try to "fly under the radar" as in, try not to attract any unwanted attention.. (the inference was "shady")
I said ride as if you WERE invisible as in, make believe a car doesnt see you as in, ride safely.. (the inference was for "safe riding habits")

You didn't touch a nerve, I dont where you got that from?

Maybe from the following kinds of thing I've seen, maybe..
I have alot of people in my area riding like idiots on their motor assisted (gas) bikes and ruining it for the rest of us.

On alot of forums, I see this...

"Well every time I ride past a cop, I "ghost pedal" till I'm past him" (gas powered, unregistered bicycles are illegal for on road use here in Florida)
(inference = shady)

"When I ride on the sidewalk, I pedal my motor assisted bicycle and don't use the engine" (legal to pedal a bicycle on a sidewalk in Florida)
(inference = safety [for the pedestrians on the sidewalk])

Do you see the difference now?

:) maybe it's a language barrier. :)

Remember the first thing the OP (who lives in florida) said...
He was "putting along" on the sidewalk.. Right there he has no right to say anything about what anyone else does when in the first few sentences he was stating he was doing something illegal... IF he wasn't "putting along" he would have probably be moving slower and would have not gotten into the situation, in the first place.

Last edited:

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
I have alot of people in my area riding like idiots on their motor assisted (gas) bikes and ruining it for the rest of us.

far enough but i never wrote the above and I dont live in florida these bikes are legal in AUS and dont have to be registered so I'd say its not a language barrier possibly difference in culture of the way we think.
In the way of acting invisible to police though I would also mean that I am trying to do the right thing as I cant always be sure theres going to be no police around.
In saying that if I'm trying not to do the wrong thing then that could almost tie into the fact (IMO) that I'm not being unsafe. All in all IMO same S%%T dif. smell.
And yes this has nothing to do with the 1st post as the thread did take a detour but the 1st post was his only post inthis thread and 1 thing led to another which is kinda natural which I'm sure by now you have seen this tendancy in other posts in other forums even in a convo. with your mates. So maybe there was just a misunderstanding who knows...who cares. Peace

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
I was stating OTHER's quotes (not yours) that have sounded shady as opposed to following current law.
Every state/county/town has it's own rules.
People either need to follow them, try to change them or move to an area with laws that they like..

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Your wife has the better job. I would guess there is a great book there after she retires.
I was talking about the inner workings of the police department and the reason some cops are the way they are.

Steve.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
Your wife has the better job. I would guess there is a great book there after she retires.
I was talking about the inner workings of the police department and the reason some cops are the way they are.

Steve.
Yep there's no doubt there bud..lol
Care to share sounds interesting

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
Just a thought though sangesf u r right in a way from a post abit up I differ from u in the fact that I don't make believe cars don't see me I want cars to see me to the point where even at night I'll put 2 lights on the front and a backlight. I try to make eye contact with th op driving at all times if they pose as a possible hazard to ensure they can see me and that they are totally aware of my presence this ensures not only they are aware of me but it is far safer than riding leaving op driving blind of my whereabouts.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Just a thought though sangesf u r right in a way from a post abit up I differ from u in the fact that I don't make believe cars don't see me I want cars to see me to the point where even at night I'll put 2 lights on the front and a backlight. I try to make eye contact with th op driving at all times if they pose as a possible hazard to ensure they can see me and that they are totally aware of my presence this ensures not only they are aware of me but it is far safer than riding leaving op driving blind of my whereabouts.
I can tell you from experience, it doesn't matter how much you make yourself visible, people in cars are always thinking that they have the right to do what they want.

I can't tell you how many times I'm riding down the road when I can hear behind me, a car speeding up just to pass me to cut me off at a corner. It's not like they don't see me, they just don't care.

And I've used the same technics you've mentioned, and it does help, you just have to always be alert..

The faster your bike goes, the more dangerous it is, because most people don't expect a bicycle to be riding at 20mph.

When I first got into ebikes, my bike would only go 12mph no pedaling and that was fine...

Then at 16mph, I could tell people don't realize I'm going faster than most bikes.

At 18mph, it was a little bit worse.

Now, at 20mph, people get mad, because now I'm more of an obstacle to them.

And all of this is even crazier than you would expect, because just about everywhere I go, we have bicycle lanes!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
What I find here in Dallas is that on side streets most cars seem very reluctant to pass my MB even if there's plenty of room. Really they're trying to be polite to the point it's annoying. When I come to stop signs I always motion them to go ahead.

Around here on the busy streets it's too dangerous to ride a bicycle on the street, and even though it's against the law to ride on the sidewalk everyone does. Usually when I'm out riding a long distance, I always ride side streets. If I come to a place where I'm forced to get on a big street if there's a lot of traffic, I'll kill my motor and peddle down the sidewalk.

It's rare for a cop to hassle anyone riding on the sidewalk, but I don't want to push it by running my motor,..............much.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I can tell you from experience, it doesn't matter how much you make yourself visible, people in cars are always thinking that they have the right to do what they want.

I can't tell you how many times I'm riding down the road when I can hear behind me, a car speeding up just to pass me to cut me off at a corner. It's not like they don't see me, they just don't care.

And I've used the same technics you've mentioned, and it does help, you just have to always be alert..

The faster your bike goes, the more dangerous it is, because most people don't expect a bicycle to be riding at 20mph.

When I first got into ebikes, my bike would only go 12mph no pedaling and that was fine...

Then at 16mph, I could tell people don't realize I'm going faster than most bikes.

At 18mph, it was a little bit worse.

Now, at 20mph, people get mad, because now I'm more of an obstacle to them.

And all of this is even crazier than you would expect, because just about everywhere I go, we have bicycle lanes!
Here in Dallas your problem would be just the opposite. On a busy street people would be running over you for going too slow. I find at 30 mph they can barely tolerate you but they do, just don't try it at rush hour.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Do you have bicycle lanes in Dallas? I don't remember.. The last time I was in Downtown Dallas was 20 years ago.. (I used to live in Richardson/Plano and would drive to Dallas, every day.)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Do you have bicycle lanes in Dallas? I don't remember.. The last time I was in Downtown Dallas was 20 years ago.. (I used to live in Richardson/Plano and would drive to Dallas, every day.)
They're very limited. A few here and there. I saw one in Richardson recently. Farmers Branch has a couple. I can't remember any in Dallas but Dallas does have some good bike trails.

Dallas traditionally hasn't been a very friendly bicycle town, but it's getting a little better. Dallas is the only town in Texas with a adult bicycle helmet law.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Christmass day at night I went for a 5 mile ride and ther were lots of cops and I had to slowly ride through to cop cars with flashing lights because they had stopped someone, any way very bad ride bike bearly ran and on the way back, stalled out competly about 5 blocks from home- had to pedal .

so tonight I"M working on the bike and when I bring my carb into the house and take apart and make new gasket -then I figure I will walk to the ESSO gass station and buy some diet coke so Im walking up to the gas station and ther they are 2 cop cars but no flashing lights .

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
alot of the ones i encounter think they have more power than me but they dont. they are my servant. always ask questions and never consent.
Hats off to you. That statement right their shows that you "get it". One can ONLY be governed by their consent. Everything they do legally is with consent. **** even if you lose a trial and get sentenced they somehow make you consent to the punishment, like signing a form, giving a number, asking you if you understand etc. It's all trickery!

If one does not know their RIGHTS and who is the giver of those RIGHTS they have no RIGHTS.
Slavery sucks! I say quit being a slave.

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
I was stating OTHER's quotes (not yours) that have sounded shady as opposed to following current law.
Every state/county/town has it's own rules.
People either need to follow them, try to change them or move to an area with laws that they like..
It takes an act of congress to pass a "law", these are not laws, they are municipal, city and state CODES. Big difference, I wish people would learn the difference.

BTW commercial codes do not apply to anyone not engaged in commerce.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
The other day a pack of roadies were traveling on a 2 lane road. One pack was traveling North, the other pack was traveling South. A police officer was coming up from behind. When the 2 packs were parallel to one another the police officer drove thru the center of the road, not yielding to the roadies at all. So on a 2 lane road, you had one pack of bicyclists, then the cop in the middle driving thru, and then another pack on the other shoulder.

The police officer didn't exercise courtesy or concern. The police officer should have slowed down till both of the packs of bicyclist were not across from one another then proceed after the bicyclist were not parallel to one another.

One of roadies in one of the packs went down to the police station and confronted the police about the situation. His thick head was getting in the way, so the roadie asked to speak to his superior. The police chief even started to become beligerent about the situation, then humbled himself after realizing that the police officer was in the wrong, and offered an apology.

Do not drive around in fear on your MB's worrying about police. Lots of police violate more laws than citizens do.