Law In NSW/Australia-for motorized bikes

GoldenMotor.com

3turncarby

Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Basically the power output from the magneto has to 200-watts!

However the law for motorized bikes can get very technical in interpretation....meaning if you follow all the traffic-laws and bicycle laws and keep your speed between 30 and 40ks then the authorities will leave you alone! Unless of course you have to deal with envious mind-sets and self-important gossip-mungerers then you'll have probs anyway! Using the marked bicycle-tracks where you live will also help!!

A motorized bike is a bicycle and everything has to be maintained and working properly, especially the cranks and pedals as that is why its a bicycle. For LAW here anything with an engine on it that does not have functioning cranks and pedals is illegal! That includes: motorized scooters, pocket-bikes...etc, and if you are caught riding one of these make sure you have at least a helmet being most people I know caught have not been fined because they were wearing a properly fitted helmet!

If you are looking to be street-legal then the only producers of 200-watts petrol engines that I know, that make them as a kit and certified is rocksolid engines in Victory, but they only run at 20ks if you're lucky, but will run on a oilly-rag about a 100ks a tank or more-if the carby is screw/plunger tuned-in not jet-tuned-in...Oh-how do I know?... well-I bought one and put the kit together on a MTB!

3turncarbyauflg I updated this as it sounded like a promo to sell 200-watt engine kits rather than my intentions of laws here where I live!

Last edited:

jsv_00

Jan 24, 2011
Sydney, Australia
hello, bumping up an old thread.

this is a little unclear to me. I am hoping to hear from more Aussies, particularly in NSW and hear your feedback regarding the law.

I am trying to do the right thing, always shut off the engine when near pedestrians and other users.
Currently I am riding on a dedicated bike track. However this is a limited distance.

Would love to hear where everyone else is riding and any feedback regarding the law. If I was confident I was doing the right thing id be out there all day having fun..

if there is already a dedicated forum for this, sorry! please send me that way.

thanks

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
It's as 3turncarby says, under 200watts is the legal limit.

Basically ride your motorised bike like a normal bike, keeping to the left, signalling, stopping, helmet, reflectors, etc.

You don't necessarily have to shut off the engine whenever there are pedestrians nearby because you'll probably end up turning it on and off a lot depending on where you are.
If you think about it also, look at all the Harleys and motorbikes and sort that go around, they're much louder than these china girls.

If you are going to turn off the engine, it's more of turning it off when there's police nearby; you were simply pedaling, none the wiser.

But as mentioned, the legal limit is 200watts and the only dealer I know also to deal them is Rock Solid which are still about 2 weeks away from setting up their new warehouse.
Other engines are much more powerful than that, and my guess is yours is about 1.2Kw. My current one is actually 1.4Kw.

I have friends who are car and bike enthusiasts who say the watts doesn't really matter as long as it's 50cc and under, All kit dealers will say 200w limit and under, VicRoads in Victoria says can't have it at all (according to the one person I spoke with so I'll be contacting them again for a second opinion), yet, their website says under 200w limit also... >_>

Last edited:

Calais-AZ

Jan 25, 2011
Australia
Hi all,

I truly believe that 200 watts is a joke.

I am over here in Adelaide and yesterday on my way to work my bike was actually confiscated by the police. My bike will be sent off to be tested on a dyno and if it comes back at over 200watts it will be classed as a motorbike and I will be treated as riding an unregistered bike.

I am pretty pissed as the bike is no clunker. I lashed out and fitted it with SBP HD Shift kit, expansion chamber, port matched manifold blah blah.
I too keep to the left, its fitted with mirrors, light and I obey all the road rule.

One question I do have is, would it be possible to actually register the bike now?
If anyone can answer that question it would be great.

If I had known 200watts was the limit, I would have put my hard earned coin towards pimping out a postie bike and rode that instead. In the mean time I will go back to driving my 6.0Litre V8 and pollute this "free land" called Australia.
Happy Australia Day

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Hi all,

I am over here in Adelaide and yesterday on my way to work my bike was actually confiscated by the police. My bike will be sent off to be tested on a dyno and if it comes back at over 200watts it will be classed as a motorbike and I will be treated as riding an unregistered bike.
Yup it is a joke, 200watts is ridiculous but, thats the law and i'm Soz to say you screwed if they do dyno it its WAY above 200watts... You wiull get something in the vicinity of a grand fine judging by others past experiences and likely lose some demerits.

One question I do have is, would it be possible to actually register the bike now?
haha no way in ****, not in Australia.

If I had known 200watts was the limit, I would have put my hard earned coin towards pimping out a postie bike and rode that instead. In the mean time I will go back to driving my 6.0Litre V8 and pollute this "free land" called Australia.
Happy Australia Day
Unfortunately an expensive way to find out... If your
concerned about 'polluting' by a smaller car.

Best of luck

KiM

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
You would really have to check with VicRoads, or whatever it is there about it to be honest.

All I know is sites I've read from which relate to Australian rules all say 200watts is a limit, but different states will have some other condition also, but 200watts is the limit.

Like I said, I have different opinions with different people here in Victoria, but VicRoads says absolutely none, so even the 200watts doesn't apply. That's from one person, who knows if he even properly knows the laws.

Irregardless, I'm currently using a 1.4kilowatt engine, which is entirely illegal I guess you can say, but heck, if they catch me, whatever; engine off - prove to me I was riding it with the engine.
I'm willing to argue my case until they have enough and either leave me or take it, and just forget about it.

That's Australia for you...

Happy Australia Day.

rockabilly dan

Jan 25, 2011
adelaide south australia
Hi all,

I am pretty pissed as the bike is no clunker. I lashed out and fitted it with SBP HD Shift kit, expansion chamber, port matched manifold blah blah.
I too keep to the left, its fitted with mirrors, light and I obey all the road rule.

Happy Australia Day
yeah i had the same problem, although mine was tuned off at the time, not confiscated, if they do test it and its over, expect a $1000 fine, possibly demerit points too, sorry pal, cos thats what it costs them to test em

rockabilly dan

Jan 25, 2011
adelaide south australia
no you cant rego it, cos will need to meet aust std, ie , brake lights, indicators everything a motorbike has, i'd be happy to pay a permit fee annually and bugger the watts output, we should all get together at the steps of parliment and get on the news.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
In sydney I havent had any dramas as yet with police.
Ive ridden past plenty of them too, past RBT's, once when they were doin a raid, when they are hiding for radar, even ridden behind them, seen a whole bunch of cop bikes in the servo they looked at the bike but I tried to give them nothing to talk about..

If I ever see them I try to make it look like my bike is a piece of crap and I have to peddle realy hard to maintain my speed. In saying that i haven't always seen them and been riding at 40 odd km/hr and still nothing.
Like others have said just do the right thing and kill it when ever you see them and pull the jeez im peddlin hard face when ya gotta.
TBH though if I was going to get pulled up and have to deal with $1000 fine and demerits lost if I had the chance to duck up an alley a couple of hundred metres up the rd I wouldnt hesitate.

rockabilly dan

Jan 25, 2011
adelaide south australia
yeah, all good in theory, re: duck up the alley, if there is an alley handy, lol, i hadnt had any drams, till the bike cop saw me at the tour down under, and that has stopped me riding it, bloomin prick, i dont want to detune it, will be dissapointed, and i can almost say with certainty, that they will still pull me over, and wont believe the affixed plate that ROCKSOLID attach, quoting power output.
hangin to take it for a fang, may have to when its dark, lmao. just so much more enjoyable than pedalling!