Holy mother-of all!

GoldenMotor.com

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
i just got my new exhaust from Barry off ebay. He tells me that this pipe is loud, but I never thought it would be this loud! People will be shooting at me from there front porch with this pipe.It is a quality product and Barry is a great guy to do business with,but I have got to fabricate something to make this quieter. Any easy ideas?here is picture of the pipe. its just a straight pipe.Who would have ever thought these little motors could put off a sound like this.

Attachments

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
make a baffle to slip into the tail pipe bolt it in or pop rivet it. I might have one that would work what is the id of the pipe?

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
yes silencers work great just like a volume knob thats what a resonator pipe does as well. a custom motorcycle shop may have something if Norman doesn't but most of us know Norman has 3 of everything!

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
That pipe look Great. I suspect you will have to look for something like the baffle to a Whizzer. Or you could look for what we used to call a Snuff or Not, I think they are selling them again. It looks like a washer with a small stem off the side, you drill a hole in the pipe near the end and put this device in the megaphone and then you can Snuff or Not. LOL. You turn the little handle and it puts the washer in the way of the flow of the noise, or not. Have fun, Dave

PS: I have an old one I will try and get a pic.

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
the I.D is 1 5/16" its cool pipe but its needs just a little baffel to take the high pitch out. thanks again eveyone. dance1

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
that is a very nice looking muffler , but yes it still needs a baffle installed on the inside of the larger piece of pipe. Some modification to the interior of that pipe and you will have something very cool and not so loud

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
When I get back to Texas I hope to be there this week end PM me and I'll see if I can knock you out a baffle that will make it into a pease pipe.
Norman

jvirginillo

Jul 21, 2008
Thanks for the info Toker_Ace.

I had though about one of these as well for my chopper. I have a couple of Briggs & Stratton mufflers I had thought about cuttint the 'pipe' end off and slipping them into the but they are 1.5" outer diameter. I am sure something like this would take the harsh loud sound out of the pipe. Not sure if the are small enough mufflers to fit the ID of the pipe but maybe the local small engine shop would have something?

I also like the idea where someone stacked some roofing washers to build a baffle maybe attached to a baracket and attach on the frame side of the bike. interested in hearing your results as I planned to add the same pipe because it really looks cool but I don't want to piss off anyone either.

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
I have had some luck using stainless steel or copper scrubbing pads . Stuff as many pads as you need down the pipe and use a stiff metal screen (like chicken wire) with a friction fit to hold them in . .... D.J.

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
Hey D.J or norm, you guys got any good pictures of making a muffler better as far as the baffles go and how to make them properly ? For some reason it is a sticking point for me right now

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
The best result that I got was by stuffing the exhaust pipe cavity with stainless steel scouring pads (5 or 6) from the kitchen cleaning supply isle and then buying a small can of tomato paste that was the perfect size to fit over the pipe and be held on by a hose clamp . I experimented with the amount of holes that I drilled in the end (after making spaghetti sauce) . When I went too far and drilled too many holes I just bought an other tomato paste can and tried again . My neighbours actually thanked me . This system worked well for 4 years until I found the proper baffle at a swap meet .

For properly made custom baffles , I would defer to Norman . ...... D.J.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Just a thought but if the tomato paste can is narrow enough maybe just stick it in there with a few holes with the steel wool pads then just drill a tiny screw hole on the inside or underside of the exhaust where it's not visible to keep the can in place? If the can is too fat maybe even run to the hardware store and look for metal drain screens that should fit right up there 2 inch is too big but I believe they have the size you need. A couple of set screws for a screen and it should be called done.
Even just two skinny bolts in a cross pattern if you don't mind seeing the visible bolts snug it up with a nut and lock washer may be enough to keep the steel wool in its place.

Last edited:

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
No pictures , I tossed it when I got the new baffle . Don't use steel wool , it will rust . Use either the stainless steel or the copper pads . The holes in the can control the sound more than the steel pads . You have to experiment to get it right . Too many holes and it gets noisy . Too few holes and you loose power . The fun part for me was the experimenting to get it right (and the spaghetti) . ... D.J.

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
Those are some good ideas. I will try the can. it can't hurt. I do want it to be somewhat load, but this is ear piercing. I will try to get on it today. I'll get back with you on it. thanks again.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
The stock exhaust is plugged on the end with the smaller outlet not just for noise reduction but for back pressure as well. Remove the cap on the end and you lose the back pressure along with a loud engine similar to what you have now.
So now how is this pipe in it's current configuration give this engine any back pressure? You may find that after doing this silencer however way you may get overall better performance and longer life.
I'm feeling that exhaust was made for a 4 stroke.

Watch this animation on this link:

Two-stroke engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When you watch that animation you find if you have no taper or restriction on the end you'll have no back pressure.
A 4 stroke doesn't need it so it can run open. But not on a 2 stroke.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
When I get back to the shack I'll measure a baffle that I made it is a straight through design sort of like a glass pack muffler or a Harley Davidson Rush pipe baffle it will tame your exhaust with out killing it. It can be bolted in or pop riveted in(bolt in, sheet metal screw, or pop rivet on the bottom so you don't see it)
Norman