I need some suggestions!

GoldenMotor.com

nathanmd33

Sep 23, 2013
Watkinsville Ga
I am going to try and start a new bike project! (BTW I still can't get my China girl started :/)
I want

good shocks so i can ride off road.

Something that wont rattle the motor off

I want fast

durrable

and strong

Somewhat Legal

Let me know what you think and if its possible to get this all in one bike!.wee.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I hate to be blunt but you have not yet mastered the basics. Your other thread indicates that you have had no success getting your engine to run. Starting a new project seems to be a waste of time and money. Why not get familiar with what it takes to get a bike to run reliably and safely before embarking on another build.
Like I said, I'm being blunt but just stating a fact.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I am going to try and start a new bike project! (BTW I still can't get my China girl started :/)
I want

Something that wont rattle the motor off

I want fast

durrable

and strong

Somewhat Legal

Let me know what you think and if its possible to get this all in one bike!.wee.
You want a motorcycle.
These china kits demand some mechanical skills and patience to get right.
Besides that, from the tone of your posts, you will be wringing the neck of your chinagirl from day one if you even do get her started.
I see heartbreak and expense in your future.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
How encouraging!...

Okay

It's only the truth as it appears to many of the members on the forum. As Maniac has stated, these bikes do require a certain amount of knowledge and finesse to get them going and then properly maintained so you (or someone else) won't get hurt. Also, as stated, a smaller dual purpose motorcycle will combine all your 'needs' in one package.

Again, it's not anyone's intent to be condescending -----however, if these things weren't mentioned, we'd be doing you a dis-service.

Good luck in your upcoming projects!!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
No disrespect intended Nathanmd33.
Just the truth as I see it.
You will be much better served with something more reliable and fast at your stage of gearheadness. You are still searching for speed and the edge.
These engines reward a calm easy style much better than a crotch rocket style.
You need the proper tool for the intended job.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It may well be a truth, but it's not the whole truth - we've all sidestepped the fact there's more then just the "china girl" kits, overlooked the truth that there's other options, including prefabricated motorized bicycles of all types that would require little more then an interest in riding and a wallet to match the demands.

Electric, four stroke & two strokes prebuilt and simple kits still better then bargain basement - there's plenty of quality out there that would meet his wants;

something that wont rattle the motor off
I want fast durable and strong
somewhat legal

He never said "cheap" and I can't even blame him for "can't get my China girl started" as they're renowned for having issues, as most were quick to point out. How about suggesting his interests exclude such problematic cheap kits, that if he can't wrench & wants all the above that spending the pennies for quality will go a long way, which incidentally doesn't have to exclude motorized bicycles for motorcycles?

A more valid warning would be price, equally an issue with motorcycles, even more so if you're not mechanically inclined or experienced.

Then there's the real dilemma... even if you can wrench or it's just a matter of time as you're willing to learn, is a "china girl" still the most valid option when discussing "wont rattle the motor off, fast durable and strong"? Heck I love the things but when all's done and said it's either a cheap, low quality kit motor or it's become an expensive, time consuming highly modified custom engine that still may or may not fit those wants. To get a china girl to be like that often costs as much or more then another type of motor entirely, one already built to be such.

The china girls are a great introduction to mechanics, if that's your primary interest. They're cheap & fun, if that's all you want. If you're already an experienced mechanic they're a good platform for experimentation - but aside from those interests they're often a false economy purchase, you'll spend a dollar to save a dime trying to get it to be anything other then it is, a cheap copy of a inefficient design outdated by at least seventy years.

If you want to learn, it will take some time. If you just want to ride, the "china girls" are perhaps not your best bet. If you just want a different bicycle to put a "china girl" in, I don't know why this thread's gone the way it has lol

Last edited:

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Well if it's not a motorcycle you want, and price is not so much of an issue what about electric?
The guys with high end electric bikes here seem to have what your after.
The Stealth Bomber for example sounds as though it would meet all your requirements.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
If it's a 2 stroke you want,
Maybe try a Higher Quality kit with after sales service.
Look up 'Screaming Roo' it is an assembled in OZ motor with hand selected quality parts a warranty and excellent after sales service.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Is really cool to read ya didn't just give up and are still slugging away at it, Nathan. Great to see some one your age not just saying forget it. LOL, when I was 15, couldn't stay focused for 3 minutes at a time. That was only if I concentrated real hard.

Saw on you'r profile page that you were into iphone repair and was thinking an ebike might be a great option. No vibes, one moving part in the motor, does not draw unwanted attention and a really great learning opportunity.

Don't know how big your school is but if you have any shop classes or opportunities, could be great for ya.

OH! any local lawnmower repair places around? Ya offer to trade some labor for advice, help and to use some tools and most people will really enjoy helping a school kid out.

This is big time "Win/Win" You get your bike running/built. They get the parking lot swept or what ever (and these crazy things are magnets for folks who turn wrenches for a living) All that and people want to help you succeed. Most especially helping you learn how to do it.

Dunno but really hope this helps and look forward to seeing your success.

nathanmd33

Sep 23, 2013
Watkinsville Ga
I think you are right. I want something cheap and fun. I feel like I have put more money in parts and time into my China girl then I did to buy the thing. I still have no idea what the problem is. and being a 15 year old I don't have bountiful money to buy parts and tools. I guess I will continue to learn the basics on the ol cheap girl!

It has to be something to do with the wiring because the motor turns over but there is no spark. Does the clutch have to be at a certain level? will it sparn slightly if the clutch is too tight?

nathanmd33

Sep 23, 2013
Watkinsville Ga
Thanks Dan! There is a local Lawnmower repair shop here. I think I am going do do what you said in the Summer! Maybe even eventually make some money. I looked into the E-Bikes but I just don't think those are for me. They don't seem powerful enough (not to mention they are super expensive) for me!

The the comments and suggestions coming!