Turning a fake tank into a real one?

GoldenMotor.com

Royale

Oct 13, 2009
Colorado
I just traded my Schwinn frame with some old hippy for a 1948 JC Higgins tank frame. It looks a lot closer to a board tracker now but I now have to figure out how to turn the fake tank into a real one.

I think I will try my hand at bronze brazing the tank together since I don't know how to weld, yet want to do it myself instead of paying someone else to do it.

Where I'm stuck now is whether or not to braze it straight to the frame and create one big permanent tank, or to make two tanks, one per side. Is there any concern with brazing straight to the frame. Could it anneal and weaken the metal?

Has anyone done this before? I searched with no luck.

Below is my new frame. I love the JC Higgins beehive springer.

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
silver solder should work as well, if you're not up to brazing. either way, look up "tinsmith's" posts and silverbear's. they've teamed up and made some great tanks.

i use Caswell tank sealer on all my tanks now. i can't say enough good things about the stuff. it'll seal any pinholes or seam splits you might end up with, and doesn't crack or peel like Kreem or some of the other sealers.

as for mounting it, a simple way is to use leather straps for a vintage look. cut up old belts or even dog collars to fit.

or you can buy conduit clamps and braze or solder some nuts to the tank and bolt it right one.

if the tank fits really tight, you can run a bead of silicon all the way around it will stay forever. in case it ever leaks and you need to repair it, you can run a piece of twine through it and saw it out.

i don't recommend brazing it to to the frame because of the possibility of leaks. it's much harder to repair when it's permenantly attached to the frame. but that's up to you.

webbee

Aug 22, 2008
This would be a perfect build to try building an inner tank from fiberglass using the Styrofoam mock-up glass technique. No leaks and no heat damage. My .02.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
THAT IS BEAUTIFULL!! Holy Cats!! ( loose the chain tensioner ) What a fantastic find. I have no direction on how to transform one of these to a real tank but this is one to do it on! Do you plan on a four stroke?

Attachments