What got you interested in Motorized Bicycles?

GoldenMotor.com

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
Re: What got you interested in MB's?

What git me started was fond memories of a seriously impaired Whizzer I had when I was 12. I "upgraded" to a Sears Puch moped. It wasn't a ball of fire either, but it got me around town. Wealthier kids had Lambrettas, Vespas and Harley 125cc Hummers. It was truly a wonderful world to be part of and at 66 years old, my HS 4G kitted cruiser bike takes me back to it a little.

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Puget Sound Convergence Zone

Late last year I bought a Wally World beach cruiser for exercising purposes. Then I saw a guy riding a bicycle with an engine stuffed into the frame & I said WOW! Did a little googleing & found this Website. My exercising now is tinkering & pulling money out of my wallet ! I now have 2 bikes...Friction & a 4 stroker.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL

Im a jet engine mechanic.. I love to work o anything mechanical. I've been looking at this website for a while. I finally decided to bite the bullet and start the project. I got a Walmart Huffy Panama Jack, and a kit from Pistonbikes. It was pretty easy to put together. The more I played with it, the better I got, the more I upgraded. New seat, new handlebars, newer seat. Add front fork, add ManicMechanic hub adapter, mirror, speedo.. I love this stuff.. Then people in my neighborhood ask; "what in the world is that?" and " where did you buy that thing?" always sparks a great conversation!
Now, I'm starting my second build. A mountain bike, with s SBP shift kit. After that, I will start another one, then another one... Then another one...

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX

I know. I just built my first about 2 months ago. I am still fiddling with it, but I already have dreams of building one on a vintage cruiser with a custom tank a 4 stroke and a shift kit. haha

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX

After my initial Craigslist attention getter, I figured out how this was going to be a fun hobby that would save me money (on gas). Well, I got the first part right at least. It is fun!

gunfighter-bull

Jun 6, 2012
mesa , Arizona

I am a security bicycle patrolman. Iv been fiding mountain bikes for 6 years.
Im a old so as well. Im a western gunfighter reenactor.

I like the whole boardtrack thing. And early motocycles
So I want to use to ride to work. But race to.

Steve1990

Jun 12, 2012
I can see Detroit from here!

I've had a Puch Moped since I was 12, its a hoot but not very quick, and it needs a new clutch. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but its a 2-speed which means the clutch is nearly impossible to get. My Dad found out about these kits somehow, and was telling me about them, and I decided to get one for myself to "replace" the moped. Seemed like a fun challenge. While the top speed is the same as my moped, it gets there much quicker and kinda feels like a gokart in comparison.

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California

Posts like this "concrete my want" to put a gas engine on my bicycle (haven't done it yet, plan to...)

What got me interested was the fact that if I want to get back home on my road bike, I have to go up 3 miles of gruesome hills (okay not that bad, but it's pretty terrible). And what's easier than man power? Engines! I'm actually still debating between electric or gas (only because I foresee problems with gas...)

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

I've ridden bicycles since a very young age. In my teens, I commuted by bicycle to school and fast food jobs. When I heard of motorized bicycles in USA, I was very interested to have one for fun and for cheap commuting. I had known they were used in Europe and had no idea they were even legal in America. I figured kids had rigged Briggs edger motors and stuff to bicycles, but I was fascinated that there were actual kits and parts for this. I really like my friction drive bikes.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX

I started out looking at ways to do a e-bike, but I forsaw more problems and lack of longevity/power with batteries. Unless you can spring for the $400 lithium ion ones! I figured gas engines have been around a little over 100 years with little change to the basic tried and true way that they work, so I went with that.
I plan to eventually (in the next 10 years?) build an electric powered tadpole trike. That was my initial idea for a powered bike, but I thought I'd start off with a kit and get some experience with that first.

May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN

Necessity for me.

My car died, and I needed a way to get to and from school. I started looking at cheap modes of transportation and stumbled across motorized bikes. Needless to say I was immediately hooked!! All the parts for my first build are currently in the mail...just waiting :)

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

I was 'Transportation Challenged' for a time back in 2010 so I looked around for how I could get around legally without a license or breaking a sweat.
A little googling around and I found MB's, read up on them, then built one.
A guy offered me a wad of cash at the grocery store for it just a couple days later so I took it and walked home, built 2 more with that wad, and so on and so forth.

Every time I build myself a new ride I try to push the look, quality and function envelope a little farther. It never ceases to amaze me what a little engineering skill and creativity can do with a bicycle and have it still legally here in Phoenix, AZ still be considered just a bicycle.

The technically not-so-legal builds are even more fun and I have a petition on my web site to bump AZ from 48cc to 66cc and from 20MPH to 30MPH and a couple state house reps prepared to introduce that bill next January when the new legislative session starts. ;-}
I started out looking at ways to do a e-bike, but I forsaw more problems and lack of longevity/power with batteries. Unless you can spring for the $400 lithium ion ones!
Yep, that $400 figure is about right for a 36V 960W LiPo pack.
24V batteries are less, 48V more.

This 7-speed shifter customer build has that size battery, 36V controller and spiffy motor that will take 24V to 48V in.

It's hard to justify $400 for just a battery when you can build an entire 2-stroke direct dive on a good bike for that.

Then again if you want to use your bikes gears with the motor that is another story.
That $400 direct drive jumps to $600 with a jackshaft, a shifting 4-stroke $750 and those are just parts costs with a $200 bike.

That electric doesn't need a jackshaft, the motor turns clockwise on the right and it's just a matter of replacing the bottom bracket cranks with freewheel pedals and a sprocket for the motor.

Two chains, the same as a direct drive, but way more efficient.
Besides the rear wheels freewheel and pedal arm freewheel, the motors drive sprocket is a freewheel too!
And then, when you let off the throttle there is no 'idle', no clutch to pull in, the motor just turns off and you coast friction free.
Virtually friction free just pedaling as well.

Sure they cost more than the above but still under $1,000 on a $200 geared bike. They are only good for ~20 miles continuous balls to the wall flat out haul A$$ but the beauty of Lithium batteries is they like being charged before they shut down, and the internal circuits do just shut them off.

I'm hooked on electrics and my next personal ride will be an electric shifter.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Big Red 4-stroke 3-speed shifter but it's way more than I need and I just can't help but love how clean and easy they are.

The only oil is on the chains and no gas, I can turn the thing upside down if I want which is handy if you want to fix a flat tire.
I 'start it' with a thumb switch on the throttle. Pedal 'bump start', pull a rope till it goes? Nope. Jump on, flip a switch, twist the throttle and haul A$$ ;-}

You might want to look back into them Placid, rumor has it a major MB vendor may have complete electric shifter kits available this Fall ;-}

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX

That's a real nice looking electric.
I may look you up someday, I have plans to build a tadpole recumbant with electric drive.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

That's a real nice looking electric.
I may look you up someday, I have plans to build a tadpole recumbant with electric drive.
That was my 1st electric, it was litterally for a little old lady. She is maybe 4'8" with a 24" inseam and that bike was about the only thing she could sit on with her feet on the ground.

I just finished this man sized electric as my new personal ride last week.

Yes that is an actual Cadillac bicycle with a NuVinci CVP hub, 960W 36V LiPo electric and it does pretty well.
I think I made a topic about it here but if not I have long topic about it on my site. It is no speed demon nor is it light, but flick a switch and turn the throttle and it goes every time ;-}

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

I got into MABs because I love small engines and I love bicycles. Great way to enjoy 2 kinds of technology.

A lot of refinements have been made in mass production and aluminum alloys though, and some new port and chamber designs in small 2 stroke engines have made huge steps forward in fuel efficiency and less oil consumption. Shindaiwa has made some really astonishing steps by making "hybrid" 2 stroke engines. (The exhaust sound is a lot lower pitch than similar displacement 2 strokes, and they mix fuel really well).

Tanaka has refined the 2 stroke engines very well.
Tanaka 2 stroke Pure Fire series, demo video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pj8Kbwk424

Shindaiwa engine sound "hybrid 4 stroke" sample (sounds like a Honda Odyssey ATV) http://www.hybrid4engine.com/listen.asp

I started out looking at ways to do a e-bike, but I forsaw more problems and lack of longevity/power with batteries. Unless you can spring for the $400 lithium ion ones! I figured gas engines have been around a little over 100 years with little change to the basic tried and true way that they work, so I went with that.
I plan to eventually (in the next 10 years?) build an electric powered tadpole trike. That was my initial idea for a powered bike, but I thought I'd start off with a kit and get some experience with that first.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK

I have always liked to travel slowly on a motorcycle and just enjoy the scenery, and even a modern 50 isn't very good at the low speeds I like.

And getting across town on a slow bike is not much slower than driving a fast car that gets stuck in traffic, never mind circling the place you're going for 5 minutes looking for a parking space. Added to that, nobody is going to ask me for a lift, so I'll go when I want, come back when I want and won't have to worry about the passenger wandering off or being late.