Newbie Bug Out Bike

GoldenMotor.com

maustypsu

May 2, 2012
North Carolina
I'm interested in building a bike that if needed I could travel 20-70 miles to get away from population centers in the case of a natural or man made disaster that has roads clogged or even the potential for a solar storm to take out my truck's computer.

Something along the lines of a cruiser style bike. I will ride it around at my hunt club as well. So basically I want something that can handle dirt roads and also is easy and comfortable to drive.

I'm told NC has very lax regulations as long as I stay under 30mph so this could become a nice way to do errands on the weekend as well.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
A Schwinn cruiser bike, Lakeshore, Majestic, Clairmont with a chinagirl should fit the bill, especially with a trailer.
Predator power would probably be even better.
Front suspension helps with the comfort issue.
Best
rc

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Welcome to the forum!
Nearly any common kit will fit your needs.
Do you want an in frame kit or friction drive?
2 stroke or 4 stroke?
Also all these engines have an electronic ignition, so if you want it to survive a solar storm or EMP attack you will need to have a second ignition system safely stored somewhere in a grounded metal container, ready to install on the engine after the EMP chaos has ended.
The only exception would be an old lawn mower engine that still has a points and condenser ignition.

I hope that you enjoy this place!

maustypsu

May 2, 2012
North Carolina
Thanks for the starting points, Rusty. I'll take a look at those brands and compare/contrast so I at least have a list of what options are out there and what is important to me.

Gearnut, those are all great questions. I still have them to answer for myself. Doing a little reading on 2 stroke vs 4 stroke when it comes to the kits. But my initial thought was that I would try to get a lawn mower engine that wouldn't have electronics.

I've been giving this idea much thought over the past few months and have read some simple DIY articles. But this site takes it to a whole new level and right now my head is swimming with ideas.

Uncle Salty

May 2, 2012
Central Mich
Welcome, I got the same worries naggin at me, my advice would be a steel frame with a little headstock rake for stability, A comfy seat, bars that let ya stand up, check your regulations to be sure you can legally street the motor you are considering, and study this forum, everything you need to know can be found here !!