Two noob questions

GoldenMotor.com

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
I've got two questions that I've not found answers to so far, so I thought I'd ask. I'm new at m-bikes so please excuse me if they've already been answered:

1. Since vibration is a problem for most (all) m-bikes, why aren't vibration absorbing shock mounts used? Even something as simple as a thin sheet of high density rubber between the motor mount and the frame should reduce some of the vibration, but I haven't seen anyone do this. How come?

2. Has anyone added a rear seat on their bike? Something like a child carrier, except intended for a (smaller sized) adult? I see them in photos of vintage bikes but haven't seen them in more modern versions. Is it because modern bikes can't carry the additional load? Or a safety issue?

Thanks! :)

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
First question has been discussed MANY time here, I'm very surprised those threads didn't show up on a search. Maybe one of our resident search gurus will post some links for you on your first question.

As to your second question, I seem to recall someone put something like a rack mount on a bike and added padding to it for carrying a passenger. I do not remember how it worked if at all as it was a long time ago.

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
I'm not surprised #1's been discussed before, I just couldn't find it. The search function doesn't allow multiple word searches, so a search for "shock mount" results in hundreds of hits for "shock" and "mount". Or maybe I'm just not using the search feature properly?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just to simplify what you'll find in a search: No rubber or resilient mounts. Mount the engine solidly to the bike frame.

To explain; you can not eliminate the vibration produced by the engine. By soft mounting all you'll accomplish is transfering those vibrations to the engine mounts and their fasteners. Live with that little buzz in your buns. It tells you the engine is running.
Tom

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Thanks, no shock absorbers, got it.

Back to my other question: Anyone remember seeing any posts or photos of a second, rear seat I might be able to look at for ideas?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks, no shock absorbers, got it.

Back to my other question: Anyone remember seeing any posts or photos of a second, rear seat I might be able to look at for ideas?
How much weight are you looking to add in the way of a rider? If you're a lightweight then you should be fine with a child back there but two full sized adults might be a bit of a strain for a stock 2 stroke. You could use a larger rear sprocket. That will impact your top speed but make it easier to carry the additional weight.

Have you considered a banana seat, like the old Stingrays had? They still sell them. Sorry I don't have a link handy. A banana seat with foot pegs would haul a kid.
Tom