Hi all. Just installed an 80cc on my Schwinn MTB MTB

GoldenMotor.com

Fred the Wizard

Aug 10, 2010
South King County
I bought the ZB BLACK SLANT 80CC MOPED BICYCLE MOTOR ENGINE KIT on E-Bay for $124.00. I installed it on a Schwinn MTB Mountain Bike. It was a challenge to install but in the end it goes like a bat out of **** and will negotiate even the steepest hills with minimal pedaling. It is supposed to get up to about 35mph on level pavement at 100 mpg. My speedometer shows it gets more like 25 mph but that's at the tail end of the break in with 16:1 oil. I just filled it with the 40:1 mixture specified after break in but I haven't taken it out yet. I got about 94 mpg out of the first gallon.
I'm excited about going bike packing in the woods in Eastern Washington. My oldest son and I have gone out with the mountain bikes but this will greatly expand our range.

Attachments

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Welcome!

Don't be discouraged with your speed right now. The claims of 35-50 mph are greatly exaggerated, and you won't really see a "top speed" until after a couple hundred miles of break in time.

Since you already went to 40:1, I won't tell you that 16:1 is horrendously rich, and the instructions recommend it for a couple of (bad) reasons. 16:1 will make your bike run lean, and if it runs good at that mix, when you go to 40:1 in will likely run too rich.

Fred the Wizard

Aug 10, 2010
South King County
Welcome!

Don't be discouraged with your speed right now. The claims of 35-50 mph are greatly exaggerated, and you won't really see a "top speed" until after a couple hundred miles of break in time.

Since you already went to 40:1, I won't tell you that 16:1 is horrendously rich, and the instructions recommend it for a couple of (bad) reasons. 16:1 will make your bike run lean, and if it runs good at that mix, when you go to 40:1 in will likely run too rich.
Thanks for the heads up.
I figured the break in mix was radically rich just because of the difference. I've never had an engine that called for a mix that rich. I just hope the ring lands aren't crusted.
Fred