New Member worksman FL - Palm Coast

GoldenMotor.com

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Hi All,

Im new to this, but i've been wanting to build a gas powered bicycle for a while.

Im not a mechanic, I guess im a tinkerer, but I do have friends who are mechanics who already agreed to assist me.

My original thought was to build an OCC Chopper with a 2 Stroke, but from what i've been researching online, it may be a little tough for a first build.

Alternatively, with the thought of being durable and ease of build I thought of building:

a. a Worksman Industrial Newsboy with a grubee 4 stroke w/ generator, or
(I love the thought of 11 guage spokes, and beefy drum brakes)
(buuuuut it seems like you may have to cut the frame and do custom work, and highest cost)

b. a Grubee GT II bike with a grubee 4 stroke w/ generator
(I love Dons "plug and play bike" with built in tank and rear tire/hub designed for installing gas engines - HD hub, sprocket for motor, and disc/belt brake for 3 brakes total)
(buuut the spokes are a liiiitle thinner, 12 guage, and the other 2 brakes are v calipers)

On a very long longshot, after my first build, i'd like to sell the bikes here in North/ and Central Florida.
As i'm not a mechanic or a metal fabricator, so I guess the install would have to be a bolt on, test and go.

Thank you in advance for your help and comments. :)

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
a 49cc 4 stroke kit won't fit in a worksman frame. you have to cut off the chain guard brackets just to get a 2 stroke to fit the worksman. good luck, your gonna love motorized bicycle riding.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Hi All,

My Update for my first (and hopefully of many) MB builds.

Due to a budget constraints,

I bought a Huffy Cranbrook.
- regreased bearings, front and rear
- installed front caliper brake
- removed front and rear fenders

Just got from vendor 49cc 4 stroke rear mount kit.

I will (reluctantly) install the "rag joint" sprocket, take it easy on the MB, and religiously check bolts, spokes.

Instructions say 2 hours. I am not the "sharpest tool in the shed", so i'll estimate 4 hours for me.

Lets time/ date stamp this: Friday, 06/18/2010 build start time: 09:00 Eastern Standard Time

NOW, the FUN begins! :)

Wish me luck!

Last edited:

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
grrrr...

a friend needed my help, she went to the ER, had a bad sprain and torn ligaments to her ankle... so no build yet...

have stuff to do, will have to wait till monday. :)

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
I guess this (mostly) a self post only thread. :)

When I "dry fitted" the rag joint for 4 hours, I couldnt get it to align with all 9 holes.
The spokes/hub was in the way.

I temporarily "threw in the towel", by getting the assistance from a local FL Vendor to:
(still had to ship, @ 7 hours away). Awesome vendor - Thanks again Jeff. :)

a. drill out the center sprocket of a 44t and 50t
b. regrease the hub
c. install rag jount sprocket 44t
d. shape the brake arm.

I shipped last friday, was recd, worked on and shipped back yesterday, should get back wed, thurs the latest for the July 4th weekend.

I'm gonna try to get hold of a digital camera to share pics. :)