90's schwinn cruiser SS

GoldenMotor.com

Dougan

Apr 5, 2010
wisconsin
Hi, I'm considering making a motor bike. I know my way around a motor, but, kind of a rookie in the bike department.

Anyway, considering putting it on a 90's Schwinn Cruiser SS I see for sale on craigslist. I figured some of you people here would have done it on this exact bike before and could answer some of my questions. I plan on using just a regular 66/80 cc kit.

1) This has coaster brakes. How big of a problem is this? Would the sprocket get in the way of the coast braking mechanism.

2) I've read that it's not a good idea just to rely on this single brake, and I don't think I would be comfortable with just the one either way. How hard is it to install a front brake on this? Is there a front brake kit that someone would recommend?

3) Any other insight or tips on this particular bike would be greatly appreciated. If there is another model of cruiser that is cheap and common that people recommend I look for, I'm all ears as well.

Thanks!

nogig

Mar 18, 2010
south carolina
Hi, I'm considering making a motor bike. I know my way around a motor, but, kind of a rookie in the bike department.

Anyway, considering putting it on a 90's Schwinn Cruiser SS I see for sale on craigslist. I figured some of you people here would have done it on this exact bike before and could answer some of my questions. I plan on using just a regular 66/80 cc kit.

1) This has coaster brakes. How big of a problem is this? Would the sprocket get in the way of the coast braking mechanism.

2) I've read that it's not a good idea just to rely on this single brake, and I don't think I would be comfortable with just the one either way. How hard is it to install a front brake on this? Is there a front brake kit that someone would recommend?

3) Any other insight or tips on this particular bike would be greatly appreciated. If there is another model of cruiser that is cheap and common that people recommend I look for, I'm all ears as well.

Thanks!
To answer your questions:

1. All you have to do is remove the coaster brake arm and put a slight Z bend in it to clear the sprocket bolt heads. Search the forum for "Dust cap mod"

2. Extra brakes are usually pretty easy to add on Spooky tooth (see vendor list at left) has a set up for front and rear with cables for 20.00

3. Schwinn seems to be pretty popular for builds. Measure the front down tube if it is larger than the seat post you wil need a large tube mount ( I recomend the one from Sick Bike Parts)

If i can help in any way PM me or just post. Cheers

.wee.