Dax gp50 9hp wow !!

GoldenMotor.com

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Hi.. My 420 Chain arrived to day.. Installed it. Went out for a test drive and found that my 36T rear is much to small as it will not allow the motor to get on to the pipe until I hit 50-60 mph or so and then on to a top speed of? Not sure.. But all I want is a top speed of 50-60.. Not a get on the pipe speed of 50-60. . This is not good as I am sure the internal wet clutch will not last long with such tall gearing. So.. I will install a 48T or a 56T. I am thinking 56T since 40T is what is used on the KTM bikes and they have small wheels 12 or 14 in wheels I believe.. Since my back wheel had a 36T installed already, I decided to go with it and see.. So.. Now I know it is much to small. As for pipes, the KTM mini 50 Adventurer air cooler pipe should fit. I have read where the KTM 50SX pipe will also work. The last year for this air cooled motor into a KTM was 2007 or there abouts. Since then they have gone to liquid.

Now that I need to install a larger , much larger sprocket into my bike, I am afraid the pipe will hit the chain. I will have to re do my exhaust now as well.. Bummer... I hope I can sort all this out. Also, my chain will be too short so I will have to order more chain..So.. Back to idle mode for the next few days... Again..

Attachments

Last edited:

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Ok.. Here is a short Clip of the DAX GP50 with a 36T. It is hard to tell how fast the rear tire is spinning because of Aliasing effect, but believe me, it is way to fast !! And yes.. I know.. Running way fat. I will trim the fat eventually and get her to peak performance.. I will install a 56T once my Extra Chain gets here. So for now.. This is how she goes... Enjoy the ride..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ievy533Uxdw

O yes.. And DaveC.. Engine and Carb is 475usd currently.. For those that like to build, I should be able to get lower and upper so they can build and that should save some money.. But for now, it is complete with Engine and carb.

Last edited:

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
Probably would if you dump the clutch.. Since it is an auto clutch that will not fully engage until 4000rpm, it should be ok.. We will see.. But your thoughts were also my thoughts.. Still are.. Anyone else have some input here on rear sprocket attachments? I will start out slow for sure.. And then gradually power up. If I attach my sprocket the way I want, I will have pinch against the hub, as well as all the spokes on one side. Should be a strong or as strong as can be for the wheel. It may be that the wheel can not take it no matter how you do it. It may be that the bike and frame can not handle it. This is my main concern. I just returned from shopping and found some pipe to adapt and make an exhaust. So. It will not be long now until she is done !
I warped my rear wheel with an axel attached sprocket a few time just with the 5.8 hp Morini

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
$475 is a very good price for a 9 HP motor, I was expecting a Morini sized price.

I think you'll do well with this motor :)

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Happy its legal in size if its under 50ccs but in hp and speed its a m/c. I think that motor is for the racers at the track or the custom builder crowd to plate and register it as a m/c. Too dang fast and too much power.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Happy its legal in size if its under 50ccs but in hp and speed its a m/c. I think that motor is for the racers at the track or the custom builder crowd to plate and register it as a m/c. Too dang fast and too much power.
Okay thanks, where I live the regs are under 50cc but also say under 2HP but I thought a dealer would know.

Last edited:

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
What I have found out here in Jefferson County Colorado is that as long as you are under 50cc, you are good to go. It is not a function of HP or speed. Case Number 11CR2664 20JAN12. This is case law now for Jefferson County Colorado. But.. Rest Assured, You will not see me going 50-60 mph down sidewalks or through town on my GranPrix GP50 motor assisted bicycle. I may go that fast down the open road up deer creek in order to test and see.. But when finished, I will have it going no more than 40-45 mph tops and that will be out in the country on open roads. I am only interested in the acceleration and pull. And for those that want a track bike, well.. We have that covered..

Last edited:

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Legal huh? Lets add this up, $475 motor, $200? frame/bike, $200? to finish. I know i'm low balling it here but it would be worth it. I mean total cost including mirror/kickstand etc.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
What I have found out here in Jefferson County Colorado is that as long as you are under 50cc, you are good to go. It is not a function of HP or speed. Case Number 11CR2664 20JAN12. This is case law now for Jefferson County Colorado. But.. Rest Assured, You will not see me going 50-60 mph down sidewalks or through town on my GranPrix GP50 motor assisted bicycle. I may go that fast down the open road up deer creek in order to test and see.. But when finished, I will have it going no more than 40-45 mph tops and that will be out in the country on open roads. I am only interested in the acceleration and pull. And for those that want a track bike, well.. We have that covered..
What I have found out where I live is it's 50cc and under, 2 HP and under with a top operating speed of 25 mph and max attainable speed of 30 mph.
Sounds like CO is an exception but don't a lot of states have dual displacement/HP type regs?

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Parts will not be a problem. And yes.. Most places It is legal for those that are under 50cc and do not exceed 30mph on level ground under power. Some states it is 20mph such as AZ. Some states it is less than 40cc and some states less than 35cc. A few.. But even in those states, buyers still procure the 50cc motors with no trouble. I have heard of those in AZ getting tickets when exceeding the 20mph barrier.

As for now, I have no plans for a kit form. Currently just selling power plant and seeing what builders come up with. This type of building will determine if kit form is feasible. Enjoy the ride..

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Ok.. Got my Chains and Stronger wheel. Kind of heavy since it is steel and with bigger spokes. I will mount my 56T to this wheel and then wheel into the bike, size the chain, modify exhaust.. And go again. I hope to have good news soon.. Enjoy the ride.. :)

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Parts will not be a problem. And yes.. Most places It is legal for those that are under 50cc and do not exceed 30mph on level ground under power. Some states it is 20mph such as AZ. Some states it is less than 40cc and some states less than 35cc. A few.. But even in those states, buyers still procure the 50cc motors with no trouble. I have heard of those in AZ getting tickets when exceeding the 20mph barrier. .
California is 30 mph and 2 HP or less. There is no mention of cc's
in the statute.

Should make a great alternative to the Morini as a race engine.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
Have you had to adjust the clutch on yours yet?
How high do you think it is kicking in the rev range?

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Clutch is kicking in at around 4000rpm. How about yours? Any pictures? How is yours running? What size rear sprocket are you using? Any pictures?

Have not had to adjust auto clutch yet since my install is not even finished yet. Break in is 5 hours. Avoid full throttle operation for 5 hours the book says..