Clutch problem

GoldenMotor.com

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
I had a problem with my bike losing power uphill, no torque. Then the last time I rode it, it lost power overall.

I checked the tank, line, carburetor and didn't find a problem.

Today I replaced the entire top end, because I didn't know what else to do.

Now the problem is with my clutch engaged the rear wheel rolls fine, when I release the clutch I can still move the rear wheel by hand.

The plate isn't fully engaging, so it's not making enough contact.

I replaced the pads, I tried adjusting the flower nut. If I turn the nut all the way in the plate engages, but the rear wheel won't roll freely with clutch engaged.

I'm stumped and pretty pissed. I have 5 days of work left and my bike failed me

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
check your clutch lever - the amount of grab you get depends on the distance between how far the clutch is out when the button is locked compared to where it sits when released

sometimes the lever isn't pulled in enough at the lock point - this can be adjusted a bit by filing the lever mount, but usually requires a new lever

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I never like to see anyone mess with the flower nut until that have a good grasp of what it does and how to properly adjust it. Here is a good tutorial on the proper procedures to take. As it states, "Do not try adjusting the flower nut until the cable is adjusted correctly"
Read through this, follow the instructions and get back to us with your results.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=22726

Also, 'engaged' means the clutch lever is unsqueezed. 'Disengaged' means you've squeezed it. Don't feel bad. It's a common mistake. If the handlebar lever is not squeezed the rear wheel should not turn easily. If the lever is squeezed the wheel should spin free.

Tom

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I can see that this is an old thread and it won't attract many readers. Newbies, in particular.

But I wonder if there's some way of getting the message across to them just how to differentiate between engaged and dis-engaged? It would save some frustration.

Should we try to encourage folks, when they're thinking about the clutch, to avoid thinking about the lever and to focus on the drive-train instead?

If they think of the entire drive-train as a chain, with the clutch itself viewed as an 'open-able' and 'close-able' link in this chain, then the difference between 'engaged' and 'dis-engaged' becomes more intuitive.

When this clutch/link-in-the-chain is closed, then there is a direct, mechanical connection between engine and drive wheel. The entire drive-train is connected. Or 'engaged'.

When this clutch/link is open, then the mechanical connection between engine and drive wheel is broken. The drive-train is dis-engaged.

To say that the clutch is engaged or dis-engaged would be a short-hand way of alluding to this idea.

I suppose there'll also be the need to differentiate between the clutch itself and the clutch lever.

But, then, getting all newbies to master this idea before asking questions might be more trouble than it's worth. It might best be done on a case by case basis.