Do you listen to headphones?

GoldenMotor.com
Feb 2, 2017
California
Do you listen to music while motorized bicycling? I always do, can't go without it....... drowns out the loud sounds of my China beast and the music always pumps me up, causing me to drag knees around every bend, HATE ME! :p

Ya'll ain't never heard Dire Straits like I DO!!!!! WOo-hoOO!!!!!!

BRING IT ON!! dance1

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I have a UE megaboom that I stick on my handlebars and blast at max volume while I ride. I don't use headphones because then I can't hear stuff going on around me, like cars. When I listen to rock and metal, everyone else does too lol.

Feb 2, 2017
California
I have a UE megaboom that I stick on my handlebars and blast at max volume while I ride. I don't use headphones because then I can't hear stuff going on around me, like cars. When I listen to rock and metal, everyone else does too lol.
Yeah, that was one of the concern I had when making this thread...... if it is safe to ride with headphones on?

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Why drown out the melodic symphony of a 2 stroke? One of the reasons that I ride is to get away from 'civilization'..........

I can also hear if some catastrophe is in the beginning stage. Can't hear the syncopation with buds in the ears!

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I also vote that headphones are unsafe, because you can't hear what's going on around you.
Speakers on the handlebars is a better option if you have to have music.

Personally, I'm in the crowd that likes to hear the music of my engine.

I think hearing the engine is part of the peaceful Zen of being out on the road 'at one with your machine'. ;)

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I really enjoy ridding with and with out tunes. Depends on mood. It's funny but each of my MBs seem to end up with their own theme song that pounds in my head while ridding.

But I use a bluetooth speaker when I do have music playing. Watched this guy just jammin' out with head phones, on a scooter. I was literally envying him. He was just having a grand ol' time. Head bopping and singing at the top of his lungs. And I was in my car doing a rush, had to be there yesterday, delivery.

He drifted to the left lane and didn't see or hear the car racing up to both our left's. The car sounded their horn and didn't pancake the guy. But it was way to close! And ruined every one's moment. He quickly returned to the slow lane infront of me but was no longer singing and head bopping.

Tunes are some times a must but the head phones thing really are a safety/ joy of the ride issue/killer. Just my 2 cents. But that event really hammered it home for me. Killed the happy of that guys ride. And would have sucked for the other driver if he hit the scooter guy.

Ya can get the bluetooth to your cell really cheap now and they sound awesome! Can't believe the really great and quality sound those, even the cheap ones, can get you.

Feb 2, 2017
California
I really enjoy ridding with and with out tunes. Depends on mood. It's funny but each of my MBs seem to end up with their own theme song that pounds in my head while ridding.

But I use a bluetooth speaker when I do have music playing. Watched this guy just jammin' out with head phones, on a scooter. I was literally envying him. He was just having a grand ol' time. Head bopping and singing at the top of his lungs. And I was in my car doing a rush, had to be there yesterday, delivery.

He drifted to the left lane and didn't see or hear the car racing up to both our left's. The car sounded their horn and didn't pancake the guy. But it was way to close! And ruined every one's moment. He quickly returned to the slow lane infront of me but was no longer singing and head bopping.

Tunes are some times a must but the head phones thing really are a safety/ joy of the ride issue/killer. Just my 2 cents. But that event really hammered it home for me. Killed the happy of that guys ride. And would have sucked for the other driver if he hit the scooter guy.

Ya can get the bluetooth to your cell really cheap now and they sound awesome! Can't believe the really great and quality sound those, even the cheap ones, can get you.
Oh, come on! You're gonna let someone's near-death experience stop you from having the time of your life....... wind blowing through your hair, nice bright sunny day without a care in the world, blasting Kelly Clarkson music on your Beats headphone?!!

You disappoint me, SON!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Har, LOL. PIE. I know. (line from the movie "Airplane"

Shana, they bought their tickets. They knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn0WdJx-Wkw
-------------------

Right before I read your post, I was reading an article about potato guns and there origins. Seeing your name gave me pause for a moment. But is a really cool bit 'o history;

"How the Humble Potato Cannon Served the Allies in World War Two"

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec.../?src=nl&mag=pop&list=nl_pnl_news&date=040517

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
5-7, I really enjoy that, too. When your just in tune (no pun intended) with the sounds and feel of your creation.

So in touch and one with the bike you can feel, hear or sence a loose nut. All the minor annoyances of life are more like a memory than any thing of importance or requiering action or thought.....

Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance sort of moment.

wut? snork

longrangesniper

Apr 20, 2016
california
I like to ride with a speaker, I've heard horror stories when people loose their situational awareness from headphones with even a motorcycle. I myself have avoided a crash that I think I would have totally broken my leg if I had earphones in

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
5-7, I really enjoy that, too. When your just in tune (no pun intended) with the sounds and feel of your creation.

So in touch and one with the bike you can feel, hear or sence a loose nut. All the minor annoyances of life are more like a memory than any thing of importance or requiering action or thought.....

Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance sort of moment.

wut? snork
Yess!

Before riding home from work, I adjusted the front and rear brakes. Simple maneuvers that make hella difference.

My engine is begging me to go leaner.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
I also do not listen to headphones, I like to hear the engine in case of mechanical problems.