Slot Punch Jig for Hydralic Press

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I need to make some 5mm x 20mm slots in 16g steel.

Drilling and filing gets old quick.
I don't have a router or that might have been an option, but I do have a nice press.

Anyone know of a punch and die set for making slots with a press?
Or some other way to make elongated bolt holes for adjustment?

Last edited:

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
I need to make some 50mm x 200mm slots in 16g steel.

Drilling and filing gets old quick.
I don't have a router or that might have been an option, but I do have a nice press.

Anyone know of a punch and die set for making slots with a press?
Or some other way to make elongated bolt holes for adjustment?
50mm bolt with 200mm travel? What do you use the nearly 2" diameter bolt with 7 7/8" of travel for?

For a cutout that size in 16 gauge a template & a nibbler is the easy way.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
50mm bolt with 200mm travel? What do you use the nearly 2" diameter bolt with 7 7/8" of travel for?

For a cutout that size in 16 gauge a template & a nibbler is the easy way.
hehehe, 5x20mm slot.

Everything I have found was in the hundreds.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
That measures up to just about 3/16'' by 7/8''. Pexto, Roper Whitney, and Greenlee make punch and die sets you could probably adapt to your press. They are quite expensive and may not be worth the money to you unless you need to punch hundreds of holes for production work.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
That measures up to just about 3/16'' by 7/8''. Pexto, Roper Whitney, and Greenlee make punch and die sets you could probably adapt to your press. They are quite expensive and may not be worth the money to you unless you need to punch hundreds of holes for production work.
Thanks, sounds like what I was looking at earlier.

I guess it's an expense I'm going to have to bite as I need to make a lot of slots until I can source out the base mounts for my 4-stroke shifter system.

Besides CraigsList, I couldn't find anything but $1K+ machine for sale used locally but I don't want to go into the metal machining business, just a cheap way to make a slot in metal for whatever it is I happen to be building that requires being adjustable.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Best choice for use in a hydraulic arbor press is a "C" unit. You would need a 2-1/2 inch unit to run a 5mm x 20mm die:

http://www.unipunch.com/PartsBook.aspx#partdetails/2351/specifications

Used machinery places, or even e-bay often turn those units up for pennies on the dollar vs new. Dies are available used, but you will probably find inch size stuff easier - 7/32 x 7/8 for instance.

Once you have the punch frame you can punch any size or shape you have dies for - that frame will punch a 1/8" round hole or a 1" square hole with the right die set.

This one is close to what you asked for 5.5mm x 25mm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/218-X-1-000-OB-Punch-and-die-for-Unipunch-BX-2-1-4-/252080395373?hash=item3ab129946d

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I think you can find a local job shop that will laser cut or water jet your slots fairly reasonably at those quantities. Neater than punching with no distortion or deburring.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
$700+ without dies... Jezzz...
I can't do that, all my new metal tools together is less than that.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Like I said, pennies on the dollar for used frames & punches on e-bay.

The link I posted is a $45 die set in the right size...

You will wind up with a few frames, and a pile of punches eventually. Handy to have for short run fab. I have seen a frame make 100,000 cycles in production and it was still good to go. The stuff does not wear out easily.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Thanks FFV8, ~$200 I can handle and again, this is just for fab and short run work to get exact dimension to send off for production.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
You are welcome KC.

Fab tooling accumulates. A square or slotted hole can be very handy. If you need a slotted bracket from 1/8" material at some point in time - that tooling will do it. Once you own it, applications seem to surface over & over.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
A decent used Scotchman or Ironworker is a very good investment for any short-run fab shop work. They are fairly versatile and available under $500-$750 used depending on tooling and condition.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
You are welcome KC.

Fab tooling accumulates. A square or slotted hole can be very handy. If you need a slotted bracket from 1/8" material at some point in time - that tooling will do it.

Once you own it, applications seem to surface over & over.
Ya, that's what I'm afraid of, getting off track again when I get a 'wild hair' simply because I can.

I did that very thing (ignored other business) back in my electronics days when I got everything to custom fab my own etched circuit board designs and still haunts me.

I made my own adjustable 2-stroke CDI board and bought parts to make 10 units complete with cases and a keylock.
Pffttt...
I'd have to sell them at $150 to make it worth it and there are other systems for much less so it was just a waste of time, money, and new business.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Plasma cutter and a Dremel. Drill press, angle grinder and a Dremel or maybe .223 with a scope, a vice and a file. What you want is a poor man's mill or a cheap arbor press.

As Brad said.......shop eBay.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Plasma cutter and a Dremel. Drill press, angle grinder and a Dremel or maybe .223 with a scope, a vice and a file. What you want is a poor man's mill or a cheap arbor press.

As Brad said.......shop eBay.
Ditto: If you're just building a prototype to give to a mass production company, chain drilling and a Dremel will make slots any size you want. I wouldn't want to do hundreds this way but for just an example, keep it cheap.
A drill press and a a Dremel will suffice just fine.

Tom

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Or like Scotto said.there are places that have computer controlled plasma cutter and can punch in and cut just what you want,and can save the program. Our local steel supply,fabrication house, has one. Would be a lot cheaper the buying the tools.......Just my thinking..........Curt

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
A plasma cutter is a great idea. Just look at the highly decorative delicate art work some folks do. That tool is a perfect chess move. It does so much more as a very valuable asset to any work shop. It crosses over into to so many many things. The accuracy of this tool is out standing IMHO.

So like something this ''delicate'' can be done. A couple of generic bolt slots will be a piece of cake...

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I put an ad up on Craigs under 'Gigs' and found just the guy.
He was a CAD design/machinist for years, quit, bought $30K worth of machines and is working from his house here locally.

He puts the design in CAD first of course.
heck, if he can whip out adjustable bases for ~$50 that works for me.

Thanks again for all the help guys.