Performance CDI layout and schematic diagrams

GoldenMotor.com

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Hi, I haven't been in contact with HD for a while due to my having been,,,, away, & I haven't bought a CDI off him, but I absolutely agree with u regarding him using hi quality components etc. I know that he was using the exact same charge caps, timing caps & resistors that I use when I put them together for myself or friends (I don't built them commercially), so yes, HD's will be dependable. I'm not familiar with the other type CDI u mentioned so cant comment. Cheers

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Hi, I haven't been in contact with HD for a while due to my having been,,,, away, & I haven't bought a CDI off him, but I absolutely agree with u regarding him using hi quality components etc. I know that he was using the exact same charge caps, timing caps & resistors that I use when I put them together for myself or friends (I don't built them commercially), so yes, HD's will be dependable. I'm not familiar with the other type CDI u mentioned so cant comment. Cheers
I tip my hat....

well said sir.

Map

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Not in over a year in a half boyz . And the bolt is not even close.
Hello Dan

Ive had no complaints with the performance or reliability of the HD Lightening CDI I got from you way on back in the beginning, it has never given me any trouble.

I'm curious about what the difference is between the Lightening and the Bolt

Maybe I missed it and you've already explained but, Im just curious about what eles could be done differently and what benefit its claimed to have over the Lightening or even a stock unit for that matter.

willie634

Jun 11, 2015
canada
Hello everyone,

I just completed building my performane cdi box. But am waiting on a coil in the mail.

So until i get my coil... Can u use the factory coil/cdi combo or would that break it?

Thanks

willie634

Jun 11, 2015
canada
Hi everyone,

Just doing some troubleshooting here and help build forum.

Circuit board was easy to build and i will build a second one shortly to test as well

As for coils, I am still waiting on a cr80 coil.

I have this guy to test with, but its used and not even sure it works
http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Ignition-Coil-50-110cc-mini/dp/B003XMS2JI

So anyone have any suggestions how to test the coil?
-will the coil generate a spark directly connected to magneto?
-Can i apply voltage to the coil with alternate source to see if i get a spark?

Many thanks... Kevin

Last edited:

willie634

Jun 11, 2015
canada
Troubleshooting question...

Can a voltmeter be connected to the circuit output for testing?
Has anyone tested a working unit and know the readings?

Last edited:

willie634

Jun 11, 2015
canada
Got my unit working... I forgot to jumper the input ground to output ground.

I didnt notice much change with cheap coil, but my honda coil came in then i could notice the difference, especially when i was able to make my spark gap bigger.

snorks

Jan 16, 2009
Africa
I appreciate everyones input and exhaustive testing on the CDIs but I really am curious about the other end....the rotor, the primary winding the strength of the magnets the quality of the laminated steel?
Did I miss something or has this aspect of the ignition been generally overlooked when tuning/improving these chinese two strokes?

Cheers
Simon

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I heard someone talk about re-gaussing a magnet once, but never heard anything more.
Seems like a good idea to me, but what do I know?

tommyx1

Jan 16, 2016
sicily - italy
Good evening to all friends of the forum! kindly ask for your help because I want to achieve interesting CDI. Unfortunately I can not understand where the points connecting the pickup and AC generator. thank you, the same time I ask the characteristics of the coil. Many thanks

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
maniac57 you take a thin wire like one out of cat5 you get a ring about 3 inches and you just start winding it around the ring making a big loop make sure that its tight to the ring then all you do is put 12vdc to the ends and run it over your magnet its like degaussing the old tvs when the picture tube would get a rainbow in a corner or else where you took this same thing but 12 inch loop and do the same thing

Last edited: