Getting bike ready for engine install

GoldenMotor.com

rimotorbiker

Jun 1, 2009
Rhode Island
Here is the bike im going to mount my engine on but it needs some work to get road worthy. First im getting rid of those nasty handle bars and swapping them from that purple bike along with the seat, then im getting rid of the derailers and making it a one speed bike.Im replacing the knobby off road tires with cruiser tires, new tubes, and new brake cables.Im gonna paint the rims to cause of surface rust.Ill post what it looks like when im done getting it ready for engine let me know what you think. Bikes were free so thats a big help and i spent like 40 bucks at wall mart for everything.So i think ill have a pretty good starting point for 40 bucks and a little time.

Attachments

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That type of frame makes the installation super easy.
You may like the handlebars for some distance riding...you could always paint them or use bar tape.

rimotorbiker

Jun 1, 2009
Rhode Island
Thats good to hear about the frame,but i dont feel comfortable with those bars, they come to close together,feels like the littlest movement and ill be going over those bars LOL.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
That's a great start. You can leave the derailleur on the bike and just remove the cable and shifters. Keep the derailleur on the gear you want to use by turning the adjusting screws on the derailleur. Makes it easy to convert back if needed or just change ratios for flat or hilly routes.
I use a single speed kit on my multi-geared bike, but I've decided to put the rear gears back on so I can provide more human power in the hilly Oatman Route 66 ride. Keep us posted.

rimotorbiker

Jun 1, 2009
Rhode Island
Thanks for the input,well i put all the new parts on and rode it up and down the street a few times feels pretty good.I just need to adjust the front brakes a little more ill post pics later.Wife has camera today lol.