It don't take a weatherman

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
As they used to say in the sixties, it don't take a weatherman to know which way the wind is blowing.

E-bikes are the way it is going to go. There are going to be tougher and tougher regulations on gasoline engines. Even those small enough for a bike or a lawn mower one day won't be able to meet the air quality standards. I have a weed eater now with a rechargeable battery and there are complete lawn mowers with them. Since they have that technology it's just a matter of time till they can make a decent car and then motorcycle with it. When that happens the government will regulate the gasoline engine onto the scrap heap. Obama already said that about the coal generating plants. Gasoline cars are in the regulator's sights now.

Enjoy your gasoline bikes as as long as you can, but know you are working with a technology on the way out. Trust me I have not embraced the new technology at all, but I can see the writing on the wall. We will still be able to tinker, it will just be with new stuff. The ebikes are not regulated most places because it's where the governments wants us to play. More gasoline bikes will be regulated out of existence in more places as time goes on. They can call it a air quality hazard, or an injury liability hazard or a hundred other things, but they are going to pretty much kill off carbon based fuel personal vehicles in the next twenty years I think.

So what do you think

Last edited:

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Until battery technologies improve ICE is still king. The price of batteries is too high, the weight is a major issue. When a cell in a battery pack dies, you lose the whole pack, expensive. There has to be a way to find the bad cell and replace it not the whole pack. I was going to go electric to start but entry into the game is way to high. There are also the issues with charging the batteries away from base.

I want to go electric, I would love to see someone come up with an affordable solution.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
As I said on a post a few weeks ago the cold hand of Government is closing around all two stroke engines to start with. No more two stroke lawn mowers or outboard motors. Are chain saws next?

Whats next? My bet is exaust controls on small engines more so than what there are now. I think we will see more and better electric lawn mowers. Batteries will get better as the demand gets stonger. Government demands will push it along. Just look at smog control on cars.

In the midwestern parts of Canada there are electric outlets at parking stalls and meters so you can park your car and plug in the block heater. How long before we will be parking and plugging in our cars and bikes. Not soon enough for me.
Steve.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I agree with everything said. I also think that the field is wide open for innovators. I wish I was one.

I too would like to see batteries get better, lighter, and cheaper. The lithium poly batteries if they ever go into full production could do some of that. You can do a 40 ah now. I have no idea what the weight is but it looks to be a reasonable size.

They are talking about using the cells from a toyota hybred to make battery packs for bikes. I think that to be efficient Batteries designed for some other use will have to be converted to bike batteries. As long as the battery is just for bikes, the market will be too small. Maybe they will sell a few of the high tech batteries out the back door of some car plant to guys who can make all purpose battery packs so that we can convert them. To get the price down I think it has to be a pack made for some mass produced item, which we can just convert to our use.

There might be a business in the conversion of battery packs from the car people. I know the lith batteries are way too expensive now. Tool packs are not the answer even though some guys are using them. They just cost way too much.

I have a 30 watt and a 100 watt soldering iron. I would invest in a 60 watt if there were small packs available cheap enough to build my own. The problem is that a small quantity of the smaller batteries, cost more per amp than big ones already on the market. And they are way too expensive.

What I personally need is a 12v 2ah batter for about $5 bucks. One that is light weight and as hardy as a sla. With sla you don't electronic balance circuits or any special chargers. If it weren't for the weight sla would be perfect for me. I don't need a battery I can charge for ten years, I don't expect to live that long.

The guys selling those batteries talk about the price being cheaper long term but I don't think long term. I think what if I pay five hundred for this and die the next day. Boy will my wife be peeved.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Deacon--Your wife would be peeved? If I were you I be a little upset also.

Myself, I think the only thing to put the spurs to the horse is the gov. When they say that electric is in, every company who is toying with battery power just incase it may happen will suddenly bust forth like a spring flowers and all the hidden from view battery development will come out.

Watched a thing on the Tesla cars and thier battery packs are made from a bunch of battery cells so when some go bad I think they can be replaced.
I guess you can mix old and old.

If I had lived my life as I should have I would be able to buy a $100,00 Tesla And yes I would.

Deacon,if I may,It would be better to have lived and batteried than not to have batteried at all.
Steve.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
very good steve....

I really do like the E bikes... they are eccentric enough to fit my personality. Yes I think we are on the verge of the battery boom. I guess we are all just impatient for it to happen. To actually reach it's full potential that is.

Batteries have been around a long time. I have three bikes and three sets of sla batteries. I plan to ride them and make tests and comparisons so that when the new technology gets here I have some idea how to go.

If I am still in the bike playground that is. One never knows for whom the bike bell tolls lol. And like Ernie said ask not, it could be you. Also why i never read the obits.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I did some experimenting with the pusher and the hub bikes yesterday. I switched the hub motor to full sized mountain bike. Doing so increased the speed of the bike. But only because I was able to start pedaling sooner when the speed bled off. My point, as if I really had one, is that with about the same amount of effort you can tune an ebike up to do an acceptable job as a commuter bike. Mine is just 250watts one twice that would be very effective. Those wallymart chain drive should work great if you change that battery design.

As we have all said, it's in the batteries now.

Blue Collar

May 20, 2009
Dunedin, FL
You all are forgetting about the "Backside" of pollution.
The Carbon Footprint the factories left behind that had to make these monster batteries.
There is more to pollution than meets the eye.

I've heard this all before..."The Sky IS Falling !!!"...over the last two decades on gasoline and the insatiable global mouth that it feeds. There is too much money to be made in it, and who do you think really has the power in this world? That's right, BIG OIL. They have the most money.

You wanna know when the gasoline engine will really be no more...?

When there is no more gasoline.

To come down on one variety of engine for an application is to come down on them all.
Just think about how many things in this country use a two stroke engine. Everything from a chainsaw to an offshore fishing boat. Now imagine the red tape the government has to go through to "regulate" this when all of the opposers and lobbyists come into play. The Government can't just go changing any law without a vote, and it is the People that the Government works for.

Enjoy your motorized bicycles.
I'll be riding mine well into the next decade...
'B

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Blue Collar-- Tried to buy a two stroke lawn mower? Don"t think there are two stoke out boards any more. A lot of states have stopped them. I'll have to look that up.

A lot of us are not anti gas and the sky is not falling on gas supplies. Here in Canada we have the tar sands that,if I'm right, has one of the largest supplies of oil. It is just very hard and dirty to get.

As an advocate of electric cars I'm looking at thier use locally. Mass transit from one city to another should be used.Trains can be used instead of trucks. Just ship the trailer on a flat car as they do now.

There has been pollution on the faces of the earth since it was formed and far worse than it is now. The sea is not a dump. We will pay the price when it comes due.

I for one am not dumping on your two stroke bike engine. I'm 65 years old and when I was young, had mostly two stroke motorcycles.One was a Dart scrambler/hill climber with a Villiers 198 cc engine made in England that red lined at ten thousand rpm.
It was built by a pal of mine who must have had a death wish.
The first time I put that up a hill all I could think of in the few brief seconds bottom to top was that my dear sainted old mother would be crying over my coffin.

That said, they were dirty,stinking engines that spewed fumes into the air at a terrible rate.

Yes chain saws are two stroke but they are not used like cars and as soon as someone makes a four stoke one that works they are gone too.

You live in a world where the Government answers to the people and work for the peoples
best interests.They go through "red tape" against lobbyists and can't change any law without the peoples OK!
Well, I've lived in Canada and the United States but I'd like to live where you do. Nothing like that ever happens here.
Steve

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
To come down on one variety of engine for an application is to come down on them all.
Just think about how many things in this country use a two stroke engine. Everything from a chainsaw to an offshore fishing boat. Now imagine the red tape the government has to go through to "regulate" this when all of the opposers and lobbyists come into play. The Government can't just go changing any law without a vote, and it is the People that the Government works for.

Enjoy your motorized bicycles.
I'll be riding mine well into the next decade...
'B
Ah but you forget what government is in power (the party of Al Gore). Look for carbon fuel standards that slowly drive them out of the market. Also they can change the emission standards to outlaw any engine without naming it. I would love to see the gasoline engine stay right where it is. I just don't see it putting along unchanged. I have been wrong before.

by the way they have banned two stroke motors on lakes all over this country I',m pretty sure. All that without any law that I know of. I'm sure there was one but it probably got passed in the dead of night. Truth is that the majority of the people could care less about what engine the car has so the government can do anything they want and people go along like people have always done.

I have often been wrong and i hope I am this time. It isn't about putting along into the next decade, it's can you buy a replacement for that engine in ten years. Since nothing is made here, they can just change the import law by slipping something into the clean air act. The media is in the tank for this new global warming thing so don't look for any media coverage of the protests.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Looked around at two stroke web sites and most are older and aimed at personal water craft.
Did find that two stroke outboard motors put 25-30% of thier fuel into the water. The
average 2 hour trip puts about 2.5 gallons of fuel in the water.

The new two stroke direct injection engines are very clean. Some states have banned all boat motors if they are water supplies.

The general opinion is that two strokes are going to be phased out because of public opinion.
Steve.