Make your own vintage bike poster

GoldenMotor.com

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I did this with a digital picture, some time on MS Paint and with an online service called Picnik. My office is decorated with some repro tin advertising signs and real vintage advertising (including a full color 10x13 1948 Whizzer ad).

I wanted to make a similar poster/sign for myself. The key is to make the pic look like a painting. After I removed the background, I used Picnik to make a "pencil drawing" then added some color back. I then adjusted the saturation and color temperature, and - ta-da- what you see below- btw, gets at least 135 mpg

Attachments

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Geat piece of work Hough ! You may want to consider picking up a pack of that Tee Shirt
transfer medium at Kmart or somewhere and ink jet printing the first image onto a transfer so
you can make ya a Tee Shirt to wear when you ride or go to a meet up. (^)

There's a bunch of free art/graphic tools at this site that anyone could download free if they
wanted to try their hand at creating images like Hough's. I used a similar program to the
Picnic that I found as a free download once. Took images and made sketches out of them
to illustrate papeback novel covers.

beginners' web design site - home page

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I did this with a digital picture, some time on MS Paint and with an online service called Picnik. My office is decorated with some repro tin advertising signs and real vintage advertising (including a full color 10x13 1948 Whizzer ad).

I wanted to make a similar poster/sign for myself. The key is to make the pic look like a painting. After I removed the background, I used Picnik to make a "pencil drawing" then added some color back. I then adjusted the saturation and color temperature, and - ta-da- what you see below- btw, gets at least 135 mpg
Very sweet. I love contrasty sepia tone images, naturally HoughMade does the art superbly.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
eDJ- thanks for the link! I am going to start playing with some of those tools and see where they lead.

Pablo, thanks- but anyone can do this- just takes a little time and the willingness (insanity) to go one pixel at a time sometimes.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
You're welcome Hough :) I come across links to freeware all the time and have been
collecting them for awhile now. I'm collecting this stuff for a portal site I'm building and
hopefully it will contain pod cast tutorials for how to use the basic stuff so those learning can
more easily get the knack for the steeper learning curve ap's. ( but like building vintage
bikes....this too requires hunting and collecting LOL ) Yet another work in progress.

cinelliphyle

Nov 30, 2009
bonney lake wash.
I you like vintage bike images take a visit to my face book page and search my pictures (may need to become ace book friend first). You will find my drawings very interesting I trust. I also do custom work and can provide T-Shirts, cards, etc.
I also organize a huge annual vintage motorcycle/bicycle show/swap/ campout every first weekend in August in Centralia Wash. And I build board track replica bikes as well.
Richard Roland Gilmore.....
[email protected]

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Here is a pic with my younger son and bike with a vintage treatment for the pic
Great picture, beautiful child. It would have been even better if he had been wearing a hat of same time period of the bike.