"Bomber" Bike...

GoldenMotor.com

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's another pic of the "Bomber"...you can see the new rear wheel & header wrap that weren't in the first pic.
I'll post another when I get the front drum brake!
It's just not going to be the same when both wheels aren't rusty anymore. Now I'll have to put on a newer springer fork too!!!
I think at that point, I'll end up painting the frame black too... (^)

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's a pic of the new (used) drum brake...
I could have bought a brand new (& much better) drum a lot cheaper, but I thought it would stick out like a sore thumb on the old Bomber...
It really sucks that something old and crusty costs twice as much!!! :rolleyes:

It doesn't stop very well but it does everything I wanted it to...
1...Take some of the work off the rear coaster...
2...Now I have a back up in case the rear brake fails again...
3...And it looks way cool! (it makes the bike look and feel a little more like a motorcycle!) :D (c)

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The drum brake was made in Norway, it's called a JOS or J&S? I'm not sure...
The rim is just a wide taiwan steel cruiser rim.
Palms Cycle here in LA laced it all up for $30.00 :ride2::ride2::ride2::ride2:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Wow $700!

That's crazy expensive, but hey, if they'll pay for it :) I guess some of the price had to do with the vintage frame?

Frantic Fabricator

Jul 17, 2008
Seems pretty reasonable to me for all the labor that went into it + parts, not to mention how cool it looks. Can't be paying yourself minimum wage!

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
With the amount of work put into what really at times are works of art, they got away cheap. Antique + Function + Fun = $$$$$$.

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Wow $700!

That's crazy expensive, but hey, if they'll pay for it :) I guess some of the price had to do with the vintage frame?
$700 was actually a fair price for it, considering that the front wheel alone cost me $150 to build!
Keep your eyes peeled for the next few bikes that I build!
They will be in the $800 - $900 range!! (all vintage Schwinns!)

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Wow. It's amazing what vintage bikes are worth these days.

I guess I'm still reeling from seeing someone trying to sell a Moondog with a HT kit on it on Craigslist for $750 the other day. yeah you've gotta pay yourself, but a $100 bike with a $200 kit? Asking a bit much I think.

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
Jason, I have not yet built a bike that cost less than $500 in parts and usually quite a bit more, my personal bike has nearly $1000 worth of parts on it. I will not build on a wally world bike because they are crap (but thats just the oppinion of a 40 year old who has been building his own bikes for 30 years). I also shy away from $200 e-pay kits because I have heard many horror stories reguarding quality and waranty issues. I pay for quality and my customers get quality. And you have to calculate in your time, blood, sweat and tears, I'm lucky to get 15-20% of the cost for my time. IMO $700 was a very good price for that bike...Kelly

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Ok vintage bikes cost a lot. Went to the thrift stores/flea markets/antique shops this weekend...only vintage bike I found cost $635. Sheesh.

So now I'm not so surprised at the price of this bike. :)

Frantic Fabricator

Jul 17, 2008
Wow. It's amazing what vintage bikes are worth these days.

I guess I'm still reeling from seeing someone trying to sell a Moondog with a HT kit on it on Craigslist for $750 the other day. yeah you've gotta pay yourself, but a $100 bike with a $200 kit? Asking a bit much I think.
Not trying to be argumentative or anything, the only reason I'm chiming in is because I've thought about making some bikes for money. You basically have your tangible costs: bicycle, engine kit, extra parts/materials, etc. Those are a fixed price. Then there's the intangibles: gas to drive and get the bicycle/parts, your time while driving around and picking up stuff, rent, health insurance, your drill press breaks, etc. Things you aren't getting paid for. The profit you make from your labor has to cover all this.

So, if you look at it that way, a $450ish profit on a bicycle isn't all that outrageous. The reason the bigger shops can charge less is that they get wholesale prices on their parts and have several people assembling bikes all day. I agree $750 for a straightforward walmart build is a bit steep, but not necessarily a ripoff for someone who doesn't have the skills to get it done themselves.

BillyB

Jul 21, 2008
Los Angeles
$700 was actually a fair price for it,
Los Angeles has great weather almost all year round has a lot of bike paths and is very bike trendy.

For the last few years, the trendy bike to have has been a vintage bikes with a track wheel on the back (aka "Fixies"). A few years before that it was beach cruisers, and no one wanted to be caught dead riding the streets on a MTN bike.

I don't know if this is going to be the next big trend in SoCal, but I'm definitely seeing a lot of motorized bikes around here - both gas and electric.

It's all a matter of supply and demand, and right now between gas prices being high and these things being trendy - $700 seems pretty reasonable.

Last edited:

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
i agree with BillyB that we're probably on the cusp of a new trend, so $700 for a one-of-a-kind build like that was probably a good deal for the person who bought it. vintage, rat and custom all converging with motorized in one package... it's instant kool and cheap transportation all at once!

keep us posted on the next builds, Venice Boy!