Exhaust concern

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 14, 2016
Texas
So I've been stopping randomly during my break in and I notice my exhaust bolts get loose from time to time. I get splattered with specs of hot oil here and there during riding. What I noticed today was that there is a build up of black hardened oil pieces around the exhaust connection point to the engine. Is this a concern. Should I take it off and have a look?

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Clean it up, look for a warped exhaust flange while your at it, sand on glass to even it out if needed. Don't forget to inspect and install the gasket and add the lock washers.
Torque very gently to specs and then add a couple of lock nuts over the exhaust bolts to prevent loosening again. Adding a bracket too the exhaust pipe for support can also help with vibration and wear on exhaust studs that are a weak spot on these 2 stroke engines.
Note. Don't use nylon lock nuts but a all steel nuts for the nut and extra lock nut.

Zip

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Excess oil is just that maybe too much...I use 32- 1 Lucas semi synthetic. I never have excess oil, sludge, Smell, smoke, gunk, ever. I run this formula from day one. I get it at auto zone.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
If you are using the stock CG pipe it is a good idea to securely mount it to the frame somewhere near the end of the muffler. It's heavy and vibrating around can loosen itself up. Use jam nuts to keep it tight and get a good exhaust gasket, the thick one.
The oil specks happen mostly when you use too much oil in the gas.
32/1 is fine.
Good luck to you and happy riding ;)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
ZipTie and Slogger have given you good advice. Every exhaust flange I've seen can benefit from being checked for flatness and sanded or ground flat to achieve a good gasket sealing surface. They get warped from the factory welding process and do not allow a good flat surface.
Follow the above advice and you should see and end to your problem.

Thanks Slog and Zip.

Tom