New Build: Kent Del Rio

GoldenMotor.com

oceanotter

Aug 22, 2015
Louisiana
Greetings! Just wanted to show off my new build. This is my second motorized bicycle.

Sporting a http://www.zoombicycles.com/66cc-80cc-bicycle-racing-engine-parts-bundle-silver.html

I have a CNC sprocket with axle clamps and CNC universal mount. I actually have a different filter and CNC intake for the carb but that has not arrived yet. I will be installing a 12V electrical system on this bike using a separate generator going to a SLA battery to power lights, horn, etc...

For a walmart bike this thing is ok. I am still breaking it in but with the upgraded hardware (all the bolts are grade 10) I feel confident this bike may last me a thousand miles or more.

So share your thoughts!

No I haven't thought of a name for her yet.

Attachments

Reactions: FZ1

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
It's the tabs that break, not the hardware.

Nice bike! Clean, and assembled properly. Couldn't ask for more.

You know, I wonder how much fuel the top tube could hold? I looked in to one a while back and considered cutting the top tube out completely, then welding a plate in front and back to seal it off, then welding it back on. Grind/sand it flush, put a fill hole and cap on the top, paint it back to match.

oceanotter

Aug 22, 2015
Louisiana
It's the tabs that break, not the hardware.

Nice bike! Clean, and assembled properly. Couldn't ask for more.

You know, I wonder how much fuel the top tube could hold? I looked in to one a while back and considered cutting the top tube out completely, then welding a plate in front and back to seal it off, then welding it back on. Grind/sand it flush, put a fill hole and cap on the top, paint it back to match.

Probably about half a gallon? A little under or something

And what tabs are you talking about? I'd love to know what to look out for!

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Where the fender mounts to the frame there are usually little sheet metal tabs between the two. If not, the fender (thin sheet metal as well) is slot punched to make a tab, which bolts to the frame. Either way, the tab vibrates enough and snaps. The fender rolls under the wheel turning your bike in to a snowmobile. Snowmobiles don't do well on pavement, and that's how you end up rubber side up.

You can buy angle brackets from a hardware store to reinforce them and you'll be set!

oceanotter

Aug 22, 2015
Louisiana
Where the fender mounts to the frame there are usually little sheet metal tabs between the two. If not, the fender (thin sheet metal as well) is slot punched to make a tab, which bolts to the frame. Either way, the tab vibrates enough and snaps. The fender rolls under the wheel turning your bike in to a snowmobile. Snowmobiles don't do well on pavement, and that's how you end up rubber side up.

You can buy angle brackets from a hardware store to reinforce them and you'll be set!
Thanks a bunch!

oceanotter

Aug 22, 2015
Louisiana
Looks great! I've been thinking one of those would be a good base for a build.
A word of warning to you. I bought this online from walmart and it came a bit beat up. I trashed the derailleur and replaced it with a better shimano and had the wheels trued and the brakes tightened. The brake pads are garbage also. Get some kool stops and you'll be ok. It feels pretty solid on the road!

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
I just looked up kool stop pads on amazon. They're getting such rave reviews that I just ordered a set. The pads that are on my Royal Enfield tribute bike are pretty weak. Especially when that little 48cc takes me to 40 mph. Takes me a hot minute on both brakes (and I have a ridiculous grip) to come to a stop. I've had to use the emergency brakes a couple times.

oceanotter

Aug 22, 2015
Louisiana
I just looked up kool stop pads on amazon. They're getting such rave reviews that I just ordered a set. The pads that are on my Royal Enfield tribute bike are pretty weak. Especially when that little 48cc takes me to 40 mph. Takes me a hot minute on both brakes (and I have a ridiculous grip) to come to a stop. I've had to use the emergency brakes a couple times.

40 on a single gear? Also what do you mean emergency brakes?

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Yep, the old standard 44t rag joint sprocket. I hit 45 mph after a shallow downhill sprint. It actually sustained 45 on the flat until I went up another small grade.

You know, emergency brakes! AKA boots.

oceanotter

Aug 22, 2015
Louisiana
Yep, the old standard 44t rag joint sprocket. I hit 45 mph after a shallow downhill sprint. It actually sustained 45 on the flat until I went up another small grade.

You know, emergency brakes! AKA boots.
Where i live we don't have any hills. I haven't really gotten over 30 I think. I have never had a chance to test this..

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
There aren't really hills here either. They build neighborhoods on higher ground so the houses can't get flooded, which means they build the land up a little. Makes for a real shallow grade, but it's what I got!

My frame is aluminum as well, so I'm sure your bike can make it there with just a little work. I port matched the cylinder and crank case transfer ports, and extended the stock muffler to behind the bike with 3/4" conduit. I also had to rejet the carb to make it a little more rich. I changed the spark plug to an NGK b5hs, and put on a new copper core plug wire and boot. I sanded the cylinder head smooth and removed the head gasket for a teeny bit more compression. Nothing really out of the reach of the average person.