pedal start 212cc

GoldenMotor.com

vdubbles24

Dec 17, 2014
Indiana
I've looked and looked for a good thread on a pedal start set up on a HF clone engine, no luck. I plan on a smooth billet flywheel and i don't wanna pack a pull rope. If i can,t find anything i guess the duromax 212 with electric start will have to do. BUT the eclctric start billet flywheel is $WOW$ when it comes to the price! I wanna run pedals but i think it would be silly to just have em there for looks.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I have pedal started a 5hp flat head build(don't remember the ccs). It will require a stout hub mounting of the sprocket, at least a clamshell type. Better yet maybe a disc brake rear wheel with a 6 hole matching sprocket.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
I’m not sure what type of clutch you’re running?,

But a few years ago a member here (msrfan perhaps ?) had adapted his centrifugal clutch with little ratchet arms and notches in the bell housing that would lock it up while pedaling and then they would swing out of the way at running speed rpm’s...

And who ever it was had also made a little drawing explaining how it worked.

Sorry I can’t remember who it was specifically but maybe they’ll speak up or someone else will know. At the very least that might help aid in a search.

Kirk

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Ya got a thread or info explaining it?
Was this build. Had a hand belt clutch. I used a hub that was sold back then with a treaded sprocket mount on the left. It didn't last long pedal starting. I added a pull start finally. I may have misunderstood your inquiry on pedal start being clutch related. If so sorry, however realize it imposes pretty good loading on the hub with a big bore engine.
http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.php?p=389144&postcount=65

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Yep, it was Goldy. Curt sent me this link months ago and I've been wanting to make one myself. Goldy does some amazing stuff.
I might add that pedal starting needs a compression release.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
I'm doing it with my 99cc predator, it turns over fairly easy and i'm using a belt primary drive with a belt tensioner manual clutch. I built a very strong jack shaft to support it. also have rope pull start, i cut down the starter cup on the flywheel so i could bolt on a sheet metal cover on the blower housing and make the engine slimmer than with the stock pull start. will use fasteners that i can take off easily without tools

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Goldy is the guy, with the clutch ratchet arms..............Curt

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=28747
Goldy’s was the one I was thinking of!

Page 14, post 135 shows the drawing. Pretty inventive!, He also tackled a pedal crank/jackshaft combo with that build.

And leave it to Curtis to remember, I nominate him as the unofficial forum archivist!

At any rate 212cc will probably be pretty stiff to pedal, you may also need some sort of compression relief valve.

-Kirk

vdubbles24

Dec 17, 2014
Indiana
You guys are awesome. That explained it all. Now time to hit the drawing board!

I scored a briggs intek 6.5 ohv yesterday at scrap yard. For just $8. Missing intake/carb and exhaust but has great compression and spark "pinky was numb for about a hour" it was accidental of course.

He had piles of engines goin back today. As long as there not locked up I see hope in a small engine!

The pedal/jack shaft combo is gonna happen. I'm a have to study the paw clutch set up. Seems over wehlming at first but simple concept.

Thanks again!

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
LOCKED UP????

get /spray/ splash/ pour/ some lubricant in the cylinder --turn the engine upside down alittle if there is anything in the case ... put a vice grip close to the side cover and a few smacks with a hammer or anything handy can do amazing things....

further disassemble for the future.

ride safe

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
Got it vdubbles- your recent purchase/find not locked up as you mentioned in your thread--

but if locked up other than a busted piston rod sticking out of the case!!!!!--
even this "find" can offer untold riches in parts
just a little information/experience for your followers -- without interrupting your thread.

build on.....

Last edited:

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
V -- scrap yard love can be as strong as the best of them!

Maniac 57 your input please ....

caution - from one who knows and still can not break the addiction--
you may find yourself with so many great "finds" there may be a lifetimes worth of cool
stuff/material to use to /build/make the coolest stuff in just a matter of months-
it gets real deep

I typically pay 20-25 cents a pound for ferrous/steel /iron (bikes, tubing, rod ,whatever) and 35-50 cents for breakage (motors/mixed metal things)
clean aluminum usually a buck a pound

I look forward to seeing your creations/inventions

Best always--Ride Safe

Last edited:

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
This guy did a pedal start using a final belt drive.

Briggs motorized board track racer bicycle, how it starts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8tC1evNNKM

The build is here:
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-board-track-racer-briggs-powered-video.32606/

If this guy could get a Figure-Eight Drive working, He could pedal backwards to start.

Figure-Eight Drive: A Two-Speed Drivetrain for Handcycles
http://www.resna.org/sites/default/files/legacy/conference/proceedings/2008/SDC2008/Bollini.html

Last edited: