1929 Briggs & Stratton Kick Start

GoldenMotor.com

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Finally got my old B&S 2hp kick start in my garage. It has good compression, spark, but no carb. The intake is a very small diameter that will probably accept a 2 stroke carb with little issue.

Now, I am in a slow-motion search for an appropriate bike to use.

Any suggestions would be welcomed!!

.bld.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Whatever I decide to go with will have to be a substantial bike ---- this engine is a porker! I'm not in a hurry to do this........at least, yet....

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
I might have a crush on that engine. A guy had one in an old Schwinn.
Go all out man; custom frame, the whole nine. It should be special. That is gonna be famous here. I'll be waiting for this build.

Or I'll trade you a g5 for it...

Trey

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
We've all heard the old argument ......

Electric Motor

Gasoline/petrol Engine

.....well, the original sticker clearly states "Gasoline Motor". Now what??!!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Looks like a model Y about 3/4 hp,give it a little help if you take a round file in a drill and open the intake some.................Curt

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
I was going to say, that is one heavy engine. I would recommend a vintage steel cruiser frame, maybe a Roadmaster? I think they still sell a repop of the Roadmaster frame.

But whatever frame you choose, I would say that gussets would be necessary for strengthening. I would put gussets at the head tube, as well as at the engine mount location.

Maybe its just me, but a vintage engine calls for a vintage looking build, in my opinion.

Your engine makes me think of this build, link

Its a super cool bike that looks like something that would have been built back in the day.

Anyway, good luck, that is a really nice engine that will make for a wonderful build.

Gilbert

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
That does look like a "Y" Briggs. I have one that came from a Montgomery Wards washing machine.

I was told that this one also powered a washing machine at one time.

Also looks like the date I gave is wrong. Appears that '31 or '32 was the first year for this 'motor'. I'll do some more research with the serial # in the near future. I was just going off what I was told.....oops!

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Hey X here's the best thing to do, bring it to Atlanta the next time you visit and I'll meet you and take it off your hands for free! All jokes aside, build a bike around the engine and make it look as natural as possible. What you have I've been dreaming of for a while now.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Have you tried sitting the engine in a bike frame (any frame) to get an idea of how much space you need? I agree with others that a vintage frame would go nicely with it. I'm partial to straight bar frames including the old Schwinns not only for looks, but for how they feel sitting on them. If you need more room and don't want to alter a frame then an old cantilever frame (Schwinn again) has lots of room and a 1950's look. Straightbar is more 1930's to my eye anyway... around the same vintage as your engine.

The engine is so special that finding the right frame is worth some time and trouble. I agree with you that a motorcycle type of carburetor would work, even one from a China girl perhaps. As Curt said, maybe you can open up the intake a bit. You'll be the only kid on your block with one of these, so take your time and have fun. Don't forget about show & tell.
SB

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Those old cast iron Briggs engines ran forever. I bought one from a kid down the street when I was 12 and put it on a wooden go cart I made from 2x4's and wheels scrounged from golf bag pull caddies.

Very heavy, but ran forever.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I don't think you will fit that engine in a cantilever frame without removing the cranks,it's just to tall unless of corse you do some modifaction"................Curt