Warning about Old Minibike Wearhouse

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
If you ever order a new 97CC Baja motor from OMB and are needing / expecting a motor with a bolt style crankshaft you will NOT get it. They make no distinction on the online catalogue and they DO NOT carry the bolt style motors. You will only receive one with a stud on the end of the crank making the motor about 1 1 /8 inches wider in width. Just a heads up. Not a huge thing but they make no mention or photos of it. I just got suprised and dissapointed at the same time when I just now opened the box and called them. I'm probably going to have to replace the crankshaft on a brand new motor. Unhappy... Here's pics of what Im talking about.

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Velo

Have never seen a crankshaft made that way. Is there any chance it would unscrew from the crankshaft ?? Is the a center mark in the threaded stud for the Lathe tailstock when crankshaft was machined??

I`m thinking the NSA listening device is murky at best !! JMHO, pun intened !

Keep us posted, maybe clean lens occasionally.

Ron

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
It doesnt unscrew... Its machined. lens is clean. I just licked it... Just you nevermind bout my listening device. laff

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
I too am using the flathead and had to add a bolt to the end with some washers to extend the shaft for proper clutch to jackshaft alignment. I'm wondering since the stud is threaded that they thought of this and there is an extra part you can purchase that screws on to extend the shaft? Does kind of look weird though if you don't need it.

Keith

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Well: I've calmed down and my blood pressure is back to normal. Im thinking this isnt as bad as I originally thought. I've been prepping the motor for paint and being vintagified for the Pope build. I figure if I use a pair of jam nuts and lots of locktite with a washer it SHOULD be secure and be no wider than my original setup. Once everything is tightened down I'll just Dremel cutoff wheel the excess stud. OH! and if you check out page 6 post 59 you'll see pictures of the inside of the new motor... They have gone with a PLASTIC CAM. I left it in there. Lets see how long it lasts. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=55512&page=6

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Ok. I need to measure next time before I open my big fat mouth. Turns out the change in output shaft is actually slightly narrower than the internally threaded shafts. This new shaft could actually be a bit longer to accomidate the AGK jackshaft and Maxtorque clutch. It works but just barely.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Ok. I need to measure next time before I open my big fat mouth. Turns out the change in output shaft is actually slightly narrower than the internally threaded shafts. This new shaft could actually be a bit longer to accomidate the AGK jackshaft and Maxtorque clutch. It works but just barely.
Time to break out the measuring stick...... ;) scratg

I don't really like the idea of external threaded (male) crankshaft end as it is much weaker than a tapped shaft. That is why you hardly see bottom bracket spindles that are threaded and use a nut to hold the crank arms on bicycles these days.

Oct 23, 2014
Beaver Meadows Pa.
I'm a retired flight wing engineer from CVN 65 USS ENTERPRISE. Your post is actually none of my business period, but non the less fascinating. Being self indulged myself in 2 cycle biking, I enjoy these high end 2 cycle bikes I build and sell. I'm advancing have a half asses machine shop behind and a few crummy company suppliers like the rest of y'all on here.
This thread about the thin crank shaft intrigues me. someone respond back about the importance/application of this shaft&motor combo. SOMEONE TELL ME HOW THE **** POST PICTURES ON HERE THIS WEB SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.wee.