Manual Clutch for 3/4" Crankshaft (Replacement for Centrifugal)

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
So excited! Notification on Wednesday of shipment. Arrived USPS today! (Monday) Two for the price of two! SWEET!

I have an engine and I have an idea of where to put it..... still undecided this will be a new build. The thought had occurred to cobble this clutch into the puma twin.... idk.
Im just ready to see how well this works out on a bike...... very interesting for sure.

Map
.wee.

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Should work in a low hp application ok, may add a little flywheel effect. I just got mine and it is a little heavier than i was expecting. I'm thinking if you mount the clutch on a jackshaft it would allow you to power with any type of engine shaft, short, long, tapered etc., I believe the designers answered somewhere on another forum that it will work ok powered through the sprocket hub. Someone else posed the question if the design allows the clutch to function the same rotating either direction. I'm still waiting on the answer because both Aixro and baby Aixro (XR30) drive on the right side. Even though on board starter is availabe the manual clutch allows bump starting and eliminating the need for e-start, on board or hand held. The one thing I really hated in karting was sitting on the grid and having to be reliant on someone to start you.

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
So pleased I just had to show everyone what I got! Who will get it on a motor assisted bicycle first I have no idea. I am starting this build with the clutch and moving forward from there. Not going to work with the stock shaft on the 144cc Honda :( so looks like I need a bigger engine LOL this is going to be fun!

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Watching the install video raised questions for me, the chain width limitation is a big one for me, using #35 chain is not an ideal set up for our bikes. But unless I missed something it seems that the 415 or #41 chains would be a no go with this clutch.

If im wrong I will stand correctd on this.

MAP

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Mine arrived! Havnt had time to play with it yet or even open the box. The drive chain on my AGK jackshaft is #35 so I don't see the problem with it holding up. That JS has been fitted to more powerfull things than my Lifan 97cc flat head.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Mine arrived! Havnt had time to play with it yet or even open the box. The drive chain on my AGK jackshaft is #35 so I don't see the problem with it holding up. That JS has been fitted to more powerfull things than my Lifan 97cc flat head.
My concern is having the ability to dump the clutch under rpm, I've busted #35 chain many times on gokarts and mini bikes, but I do know that high quality #35 is pretty durable, probably no need for concern, I was just thinking if it would work with a #41 or the 415 chain it would be a bit more durable.

Map
.wee.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LabRat, Velo, could you verify they are 2.64" long?

Map, the makers designed it to "slip" under just such an occurrence. I have yet to try one but that was what was said by them in another forum. 35 LBS, if I remember correctly, was the lowest it could be setup at.

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington

Map, the makers designed it to "slip" under just such an occurrence. I have yet to try one but that was what was said by them in another forum. 35 LBS, if I remember correctly, was the lowest it could be setup at.
Dan I can stick a tape to it but I have not a clue long from where to where?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Yes, how long it is sticking out from the side of the engine. Sorry Lab, I should have asked specifically. Can I be a further pain and ask you to also measure the distance from bolthole center to bolt hole? If ya have time and no worries if you don't get to it.

LOL, already designing a backing plate for it.

Thanks Mon! I owe ya a cup of coffee or a cold one.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Slip......! So im guessing this will be more suited for a low - medium HP setup, which should be great for the 79-99cc engines along with the mostly stock 212cc size engines......

I'm wanting to see one of the in action on a motorized bike, myself I think I'd much rather have a CVT setup but its a cool gizmo.

Map

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I hear ya Map. Been beating my head trying to do a semi-VT but is coming together. (Machining the sheave is turning out to be a hassle. 20.5*!) The off the shelf CVTs are just to big, IMHO.

But I really think this will be a great alternative. Can rev the engine up a tad before engaging. Will really help with getting off the line at a stop light. I really like the idea of pop-starting. (bump) I feel kinda silly starting my 4 smokes like a lawn mower.

LOL, I will look just as silly if the pop-starting doesn't start but at least I will already be facing and going the other way