my tomos chopped moped (cho-ped)

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i jusr realized i never posted the pics of it in the sun. took these a week ago. i just wired up a headlight and polished the cases on it today, but didn't take any pics. after i get the taillight done i'll post some more.

bonus pics of my other "new" ride... :)

Attachments

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
there's a 200 year old vietnamese guy who rides one covered in plastic bags flilled with cans i see almost everyday, and a few oddballs here and there, but not many.

that is, until the "moped army" stages a ride. then you'll see 50 guys buzzing down the street.

there's a ride in la coming up at the end of the month, but it might be the same day as the two stroke extravaganza. gotta find out for sure...

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
cool. i'll probably be there.

had a clutch problem where it wouldn't disengage. the kick back starter is supposed to go into free-pedaling mode after it starts so the clutch engages when you let off the throttle and the bike idles.

there's a one way needle bearing that blew apart so you could pedal forward to start, and the bike would die when you stopped.

picked one up from myrons mopeds and hooked it up, so everything's good.

debating on building my taillight/ chain tensioner mount right now because it's so freakin' hot!

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
after debating a few minutes, i decided to just finish the dang thing up... :)

pulled the swing arm off, and using a gear from my china-doll scrap heap, i welded on a tab for the chain tensioner. there's a steel bushing that the gear rides on (which kinda squeaks when your riding) and then the tailight mount bolts thru that.

the light's a rear marker light from some unknown motorcycle that i picked up from the long beach swap.

the wiring runs down along the swingarm and into the frame, joining to the yellow wire to the mag.

T-eed into that is the kill switch, headlight, and 4 extra wires (in case i add a horn or something in the future) which all run up to a switch i mounted in the headlight.

so flip the switch on and the bike starts, lights come on, and you're ready to go. flip it off, and you're ready to park.

unlike the china bikes, there's no noticeable power loss running with the lights off the magneto.

all the wires are wrapped in steel braiding, and tucked into a neat little bolt on cover that goes down the frame so there's no mess.

there's not one zip tie or loose wire sticking off this thing.

legally, i need a brake light, horn and mirror, so i'll eventually rig those up.

license plate's on the way, but i have i copy of the form and my money order reciept, so i'm ready to ride...:)

Attachments

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
it's really fun. without really thinking about it, i somehow set it up to fit me perfectly. it's comfy, smooth, and pretty fast. probably hits 35-40.

and people on the street have no idea what the heck it is. :)

the auto shop next to the liquor store emptied out when i rode up. there were 5-6 guys standing out there trying to figure it out. they've seen my motored bikes before, but couldn't believe it used to be an ugly old 70's moped...

can't wait to see what dale and the donut shop guys think about it on saturday.:)

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
You did it Baird. Excellent response at the donut shop this morning with a lot of people asking "what is it?" and commenting how cool it looks. Great job.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
thanks dale. :)

yup, it seemed like it was a big hit. it's fun to stand back and watch people point and scratch their heads over it.

rode there and back like a champ. no hiccups at all. a little slower than i thought. maybe hit 35 on the way home. but it's comfy, cool, and reliable.

should make some heads turn at the beach burgers show tomorrow. probably gonna be 90° but i'll be there...

forgot to mention, it used about 1/3 a quart of fuel round trip. maybe 12-14 miles?

Last edited: