Odd problem with my carb

GoldenMotor.com

LaLongueCarabine

Aug 15, 2011
United States
Got a odd problem. My idle is way too high. Nothing seems to help.
Changed jets, carbs, new throttle handle, changed the idle adjustment screw.

The bike runs flat out I can cruise at 32-35mph my top speed is 39mph.

Any ideas?:-||

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
take off air filter and idle screw and look in carb - slide should be at dead bottom

if not, work with throttle cable & throttle grip until it is
++++++++

if it goes to the bottom & still runs fast, you're getting air from someplace - find that place

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
I'm with crassius.

You've got too much air coming into the engine.
The throttle grip that is included in the kit as awful. There are burrs thatkeep the throttle from returning to idle. It can be cleaned up with a file or an x-acto blade.

It is also common for the carb to leak at the flange connecting it to the intake manifold. Gooping it up with rtv sealant will stop the leak.

I used to have problems with my carb backing off of the intake tube. The resulting leak would cause a high idle condition. I fixed it by using a zip tie chain to secure the carb to the frame of my bike

LaLongueCarabine

Aug 15, 2011
United States
Thanks it does seem like the throttle cable is getting bound up somewhere, it's kinda moot now though. I killed the old girl last Tuesday.

I was going flat out and felt a hiccup and bang and she quit. Didn't freeze up but no go, not even try to go. I swear I saw a spark or flash out the left side of the engine.

I took off the chain and peddled her home. (damn these things don't peddle all that easy! It works but it's not my 21 speed Townie for sure!)

Everything is tight and secure, except the case has a leak and I must be loosing some compression. The head gasket is clean, the carb is tight at both ends, the exhaust is tight and secure. Yeah I got fuel, have yet to verify spark.

But damn my top end is dynamite, a few minutes before she blew I was at 40.1 mph!
It takes several seconds and a hill but my top end is as fast as I want to go on a bicycle!
The idle is just weird, won't idle when cold, better as it warms, until at operating temp she races. If I stop for more than a few minutes, the pattern repeats.

Sigh,,if it's not one thing it's another.

Last edited:

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
That's the problem,you probably burnt the magneto out from the gas and oil leaking.So check for spark if you don't have it there's the problem.Like you said you saw a big spark coming from the left side of the engine.So pull the cover and see if there's a bunch of fuel in there.

Last edited:

LaLongueCarabine

Aug 15, 2011
United States
Thanks that makes a lot of sense! My brother just called and he checked and I don't have any spark!
Tomorrow I'll take the magneto off my spare engine and see if that does it.
Woo Hoo!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Also, if you ran it (especially hard) with a leaking crank seal, you could have damaged the piston and/or cylinder from running lean.

Good luck.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
That true what the other people said in here .I would check the cylinder and piston that you didn't put any harm on them.So you will have too pull head off again and check the stuff.I would torque the head bolts with a torque wrench when putting it back together.I totally agree with Bikeguy goe's

LaLongueCarabine

Aug 15, 2011
United States
That true what the other people said in here .I would check the cylinder and piston that you didn't put any harm on them.So you will have too pull head off again and check the stuff.I would torque the head bolts with a torque wrench when putting it back together.I totally agree with Bikeguy goe's

Since I'm at work and my bike is at my brothers, he's been doing some trouble shooting.
No spark and he took the cover off the magneto and it looked fine, he said it was clean and didn't have any shorts. (no oil had leaked into magneto chamber.) When I checked the head gasket the cylinder was fine no scoring or scratches. I've replaced the head and re-torqued the bolts. The plug was a brownish tan and didn't seem to be running lean.

I wonder if the spark I saw came from the CDI? I have a spare and I'll put it on tomorrow.
Stranger and stranger said Alice. :-||

Last edited: