GT5R CDI question/help

GoldenMotor.com

nastygramus

Feb 25, 2011
NE illinois
Brand new motor has no spark none ! thinking I needs a new CDI ? can anybody please help me locate a replacement CDI for this motor or help with spark problem

nastygramus

Feb 25, 2011
NE illinois
thanks Not what I wanted to here I bought this motor new in the box and it took quite some time putting the right bike together worthy of the motor (so I thought ) and never got any spark out of it don't know what/if I'm doing something wrong check and rechecked just about everything I can think of or read to try does anybody know if I can put a stock coil and mag in this to make it work HEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLp and i tried the K S no luck

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Just to make sure we're talking apples and apples, you've looked at the Grubee site to confirm you have a GT5R (Super Rat), so we're not talking apples and oranges.

According to the Grubee Website, the Super Rat has a 10mm nut as the older style engines have a 8mm nut. So my guess is that the end of the shafts are different diameters. Maybe a possibility to tap an older style magnetic rotor to 10mm and switch out to an older style coil and CDI. You'd would have to drill and tap some mounting holes for the coil. I don't know how thick the engine case is.

I have a post in for someone to measure the diameter and thickness of the older style magnetic rotor for my own project. You could compare the measurements of the older style magnetic rotor to the diameter and thickness of your Super Rat to see if the older style would work with your Super Rat.

Before you do anything, I would check with some more experienced forum members on my suggestions.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

nastygramus

Feb 25, 2011
NE illinois
Again with the NOT what I wanted to hear .duh. Thank you for the help I still hope I can figure something out with this and welcome any and all help with this just a FYI to anybody that can help I have read and tried most of the basics to solve this problem and will continue to do so till ...
dance1 looks like I will have to try a new magneto not sure why its all brand new parts but like I said got to keep on keepin on Thanks again for the help

nastygramus

Feb 25, 2011
NE illinois
If I remember correctly I bought in fall/winter of 2010 or early spring of 2011 somewhere in there it sat in the box until I started the build a few months ago

fonzie

Nov 13, 2011
Dillsburg, pa
If this is truly the super rat with the internal cdi and the aluminum mag, you can get the magneto from gasbike. They will show that they are out of the cdi's but if you get to talk to someone at the shop and not just the order takers, they will send you one. I also had Don Grubbee volunteer to bring one back in November. Just thought I would mention it. Just got a mag and cdi for my super rat from gasbike about a month ago.

nastygramus

Feb 25, 2011
NE illinois
Good looking out Thanks ! I see the mags on GAS BIKE and will order one and give that a try ! is there a way to test the mag's in these motors ? If so how I've read till my eyes started to bleed without any luck
Thanks again everybody for the help

fonzie

Nov 13, 2011
Dillsburg, pa
One last thing......the spark plug wire lead could be your problem. It unscrews out of the CDI. Just unscrew it and see if the threaded stud is making contact with the internal copper wire. Snip off a half inch of the wire and make a new connection to the stud. Then the connector used at the spark plug end could be suspect and the penetration made for the spark plug end may not be touching the copper wire. You can't hurt anything by unscrewing the end of the wire at the CDI. And then, push the spark plug boot back and checking that connection. Seems a little unlikely that the CDI is bad but it might be. I've seen a lot of strange things.

nastygramus

Feb 25, 2011
NE illinois
I took a look at the plug end already and made a small adjustment on that end guess Ill try looking at the coil end next cant hurt to give it a try Thank you fro your support

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Good to see that you found a source. Fonzie, good point in trying to re-attach the plug wire.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
If you drill and tap it and converted back to the old style mag needle in magnets ,you can install a Jaguar and then you really have a Hot Rat.