Is it possible to build without shop?

GoldenMotor.com

nathpld123

Sep 18, 2012
Canada
Hey there!

Im just wondering if i could build my own motor bicycle without shop or machines but my father has tools for mechanics like PLIERS, WRENCH, SOCKETS, EXTENSION and more...

If that so, should i just buy the engine kits?

Thanks for reading this and hopefully i get a response.

PS: Please recommend me good site to buy Engine Kits at a cost around $100-150

Thanks again!

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
You sure can! I have a back patio I work on and just use ratchets, wrenches, pliers, and some screw drivers. As long as your not planning on doing any custom "body" work, you should be good to go!

nathpld123

Sep 18, 2012
Canada
Cool, thanks man!

BTW does the bike has to be aluminum?

I have 2 bikes, an aluminum and metal. The problem is that my aluminum bike dont have any space for engine kits since it has shock in the middle of the body. But im sure an engine would fit in my metal bike.

So is it ok if i just make my metal bike a motorized?

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
yep all you need is a good set of metric tools a few Allen keys help (bike parts depending on year and model)screwdriver or two pliers and a place to work like a driveway or living-room.:)
also it is going to be hard to find a "good" kit in that price range.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
my first bikes were all built in backyards with hand tools. now i've got a garage and some real tools, and the bikes keep getting better.

besides normal bicycle tools, you need surprisingly little else to mount a stock kit. a chain breaker, cordless drill, bench grinder, and a vice are nice extras, but you can pretty much install the whole thing with a 10mm wrench and a screwdriver.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
All it takes is the will to jump in and do it! I work out of an RV. I have very few tools but I still work on everything I can get ahold of...Doing is the BEST way to learn.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Agreed with all the above!
the HT kits are meant to be universal and they come very close to that.
a kit can be assembled into a bicycle with a minimum of tools and skill, on your front porch.
Good luck
rc

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
You don't need a shop to be able to build a bike... You just need a understanding woman!
My ex-wife came home one day to find the whole front end of a 66 VolksWagen in her kitchen! (true story)! :rolleyes:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You don't need a shop to be able to build a bike... You just need a understanding woman!
My ex-wife came home one day to find the whole front end of a 66 VolksWagen in her kitchen! (true story)! :rolleyes:
LOL,
I knew a guy who built a 'T' roadster street rod in his living room. It went okay until he realized that he couldn't get it out through the sliding glass doors to his back yard. He had to take out the doors and widen the opening 8". That's when his wife got pi$$ed.
I asked him why he didn't just take the tires and wheels off. He said, "I didn't think of that until after I knocked out the wall." :)
Tom

nathpld123

Sep 18, 2012
Canada
Cool thanks guys for all your informations!

I appreciate for spending your time on helping me :D

But now im having problem looking for good engine kit at around $100-150 that can be shipped to Canada. Almost all the engine kits i've searched can only be ship in U.S.

Please help me on this :D Thank you!

lksdG2

Sep 30, 2012
san diego
I built mine in the living room of my upstairs 2 bedroom apartment (where I also keep it) while my gf and daughter were out, so yes its definately possible