Fuel restriction

GoldenMotor.com

JonD

Aug 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
I am having trouble with the stock tank filter and fuel line acting like there's a restriction- an air bubble forms in the top of the fuel line, then the carb runs out of gas when I have a full tank of fuel. I am going to try to eliminate the tank filter and go with an inline filter to see if that works, but I was wondering if anybody else had this problem and if so what they did.

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
I just had an issue w/ my fuel petcock.... Only 1 very precise position that it will let neough fuel to flow to run.....Am ordering a new one 2nite....

was running fine for the first 3 tanks, then this...... Such is the life w/ a cheap chinese setup....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Did you clean out the fuel tank before you installed it? They come from the factory with rust and dirt (no extra charge) that needs to be cleaned out before you fill the tank the first time. The in-tank filter shouldn't plug up if the tank and the fuel you put in it is clean.
That said, we also always recommend an in-line filter between the tank and carburetor. That will assure what the carb gets is clean. As for the "air bubble", don't worry about it. First of all it isn't all air but gasoline vapor and as long as the fuel/float bowl is full it doesn't effect the engine running.

Tom

JonD

Aug 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
I haven't checked my tank filter since I installed it... I'm just going to get rid of it and use the inline filter. What little trash is in there will run through or get caught in the filter eventually. I checked the tank before I put gas in it and it looked fairly clean. This bike is going to be a fun ride after I get the lack of Chinese quality control and the shift kit chain adjustments sorted out. I went 5 miles yesterday, hit 31 mph and only stalled out once. I'm only $400 in on my bike, it still fits on a bike rack on my car and it can go anywhere. I can't believe these bikes aren't everywhere! If this engine holds up this motorized bike rig will be far superior to a gas scooter.

JonD

Aug 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
I solved the problem... If you look the gas cap is a 2 piece sheet metal part that is stamped together. It vents through the gaps in the crimping between the two halves. Well the factory worker that made mine screwed up and did a good job putting the cap together such that the crimp was air tight. I drilled four 3/32" holes around the crimping on the underside of the cap and I am venting like a champ now. Now that I've sorted that out I'm finally to the point on my bike where I can just kick it and go .trk