Ran great for months, what happened?

GoldenMotor.com

Super

Sep 19, 2011
Texas
I been running my bike for months. It ran great and I haven't had a problem for months. Yesterday I took it to the store and back, which is only about 300 yards away, without a hitch. Later that day I tried going somewhere and it wouldn't start. It wouldn't do anything. Like if I had the spark plug unplugged or something. Well this morning I started to try to troubleshoot it and had no luck finding the problem. The piston chamber is getting fuel and it is getting spark to the plug. I also disconnected the kill switch. I even tried using an old(working) CDI coil just to be sure. I cleaned the carb and checked for any anomalies. Nothing found. Gas is the same gas I been using for the past few weeks. Everything is stored in a shed, so no rain got to my gas. It hasn't even rained for a few weeks, anyways. I tried a new plug, too.

So as far as I can see it is getting fuel, fire, and air, but still no combustion. Where can I go from here? Appreciate any help, thanks.

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

Fuel, Fire and air and still not working?.....THAT is interesting.

If you have some handy, I would try some starting fluid...IF it has a spark it will fire (even if briefly) w/ starting fluid.

If it attempts to run on starting fluid, you can be pretty sure your issue is with the fuel or lack there of (or possibly a carb (improper a/f mixture, possibly a slight clog etc..) issue BUT it will be a fuel system issue at that point....).

If it doesn't even try to fire w/ starting fluid, then your problem is in the ignition system somewhere (Plug, CDI, wiring etc..) and that would have to be corrected before even getting into the fuel system.

Hope this helps you.....

Andrew

Last edited:

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
Hey Super, I was having the same problem. I could see what i thought was adequate spark, however there was no fire. Inspected magneto without taking it off, everything looked fine. Pondered the problem for a couple more days and then pulled magneto to find it saturated in oil, even thou it was not noticeably dripping when inspected the first time. So you might wanna pull mag and magnet and check out the seal behind there. If thats it, it's two fold, inadequate spark and leaky crankcase.

I really hope thats not the problem, change your plug just for kicks and giggles. Bon Chance. Skitch

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
What motor exactly?
Are you aware that the carb intake doesn't go directly to the cylinder but through the crank case first to lube the inside hence why the oil in the gas?

If you are leaking oil at that seal when it is off it is sucking air when it is running.

forrestsmith

May 29, 2012
Cincinnati
Slim chance but could be a cloged exhaust port or muffler. I have had a few 2 strokes that had good spark and gas but would not start for this reason. It is easy enough to unbolt the muffler and see what happens.

Forrest

Super

Sep 19, 2011
Texas
Sry guys for not getting back sooner. I have been sick. But anyways before I got sick I did resolve the issue. Don't know what I did. After putting it back together and changing the fuel filter, witch started off as hard plastic and now feels like rubber, it started up again. Slowly at first, like it didn't want to start, then it fired up as normal. Maybe my fiddling dislodged a piece of trash somewhere. Or maybe the filter was it, but other than the plastic turning to rubber, it still seemed good. (good fuel flow). Thx for the suggestions everyone.

What motor exactly?
Are you aware that the carb intake doesn't go directly to the cylinder but through the crank case first to lube the inside hence why the oil in the gas?

If you are leaking oil at that seal when it is off it is sucking air when it is running.
Don't know what motor your refering too but the carb intake DOES go directly to the cylinder of the little 40cc and 66 cc china's motors.(Grubee) The top end has little shoot holes that allow oil and gas to fall into the crank case when the piston is on it down stoke. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I will be the first to admit, I'm no expert on these things, but this is what my common since told me when I took it apart one day to see how everything worked.

Last edited: