Clutch Problems! Need some Help

GoldenMotor.com

connorpg1212

Jul 24, 2012
Massachusetts
I am new to the forum but i have a schwinn chopper with a engine kit from gasbikes.net and i just put my new chain on yesterday and went for a couple mile ride and when i went to go on it today, when i released the clutch lever to start it, nothing happened. The clutch wouldnt catch or something therfore it wouldnt start the bike. Also when i just simply push the bike the back tire doesnt lock like it used to when the clutch worked. Any ideas? Thank you.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The easiest place to adjust the clutch is on the handle bar lever, if the adjuster isn't all the way in already.

If it is, then where you're talking about is next.

If that doesn't fix it, then take the primary cover off and loosen the flower nut a half a turn at a time till it works ok again.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Biknut since it worked yesterday and its a new build tightening the flower nut a little was what I thought it needed, he said it didn't turn the engine over at all.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
So the clutch seems to be slipping and this just happened suddenly?
Before adjusting anything, figure out what is causing the problem.
I recommend removing the clutch cover, disconnecting the clutch cable from the release arm and pushing the bike while watching the gears turn.
If the clutch does not turn you have a problem with the either the engine sprocket or the clutch hub attachment to the transmission shaft. If everything turns but the engine does not then you have a problem with the small bevel gear on the end of the crank shaft.
If the clutch pressure plate turns but the gears do not you need to adjust the clutch or possibly clean the friction pads and friction surfaces.

connorpg1212

Jul 24, 2012
Massachusetts
My drive sprocket is set up different than the pictures on that link. And yes this did happen suddenly, i rode it friday then saturday this happened when i went to get on it.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Is the small gear turning? If so the engine should be turning over. If the small gear is turning but not the engine the key under the gear is sheared.

connorpg1212

Jul 24, 2012
Massachusetts
The small drive sprocket is turning. so if i were to pedal the engine should be turning over with the clutch not working at all? If so the engine isnt turning over at all when i pedal it. Thanks