Takes longer and longer to start up.

GoldenMotor.com

b3anz129

Aug 15, 2011
Boston
Comrades,

What does it mean if the motor takes longer and longer to startup each time? I've tightened up the flower nut and now I'm thinking about cleaning and spraying the clutch pads with brake fluid spray. Anything else I should be watching out for? For reference, the motor essentially new.

Cheers!

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Comrades,

What does it mean if the motor takes longer and longer to startup each time? I've tightened up the flower nut and now I'm thinking about cleaning and spraying the clutch pads with brake fluid spray. Anything else I should be watching out for? For reference, the motor essentially new.

Cheers!
Longer and longer to start up, are you sure it's in the clutch, and if so why? Is the clutch slipping?

b3anz129

Aug 15, 2011
Boston
Longer and longer to start up, are you sure it's in the clutch, and if so why? Is the clutch slipping?
Hmm good point. Well it seems to be slipping and when I tightened up the flower nut things got a bit better. The cdi is really the only other thing I can think of that might be giving me trouble as it is older than the rest of the motor but thats really the only other thing I can think of.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Hmm good point. Well it seems to be slipping and when I tightened up the flower nut things got a bit better. The cdi is really the only other thing I can think of that might be giving me trouble as it is older than the rest of the motor but thats really the only other thing I can think of.
I'm sure the CDI is fine, it's electronic, and usually they don't wear down, they just quit. Could you have too much compression, and need to add another head gasket? On my son's bike I had to add another head gasket as he weighs only about 125#

b3anz129

Aug 15, 2011
Boston
I'm sure the CDI is fine, it's electronic, and usually they don't wear down, they just quit. Could you have too much compression, and need to add another head gasket? On my son's bike I had to add another head gasket as he weighs only about 125#
Now this I'm just not sure about. I wouldn't know how to check for this. I had a bike before which ran pretty well. This new one has a slanted sparker which is supposed to give it "better comprehension." I weigh 150 if it means anything.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Dang, I don't. Well, I hope I didn't damage the carb. Should I clean it out somehow?
I would do a general checkup, inspect the spark plug, clean/replace as necessary, clean the carb and air filter etc. Then just make sure you turn off the fuel valve when you park from now on and hope she starts up easily. If not, post back with more info and the kind people here in the forum will do their best to help you....
PS Your not gonna damage the carb by leaving the fuel valve on. What can happen is fuel seeps down into the cylinder, if enough goes down there you might not be able to get the motor to turn over since the liquid fuel can not be compressed. A less serious effect could be a flooded condition, which kinda sounds like what you are dealing with....

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Possibly an air leak- usually around the carb and intake juncture- Does it respond to the choke? I suddenly had to start using the choke and it didn't want to idle right- I asked here- the consensus was air leak- I simply used electrical tape- it worked.

The clutch pads could be worn or the cable need tightening if it isn't "popping" the clutch when you release the lever- you should be able to feel the compression, especially with a 66- wears me out quickly!
I think brake fluid cleaner may cause the clutch pads to slip all by itself- so will oilk or lubricant. I grease the gears and it quiets the motor down, but you have to be careful of it getting on the clutch.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
Now this I'm just not sure about. I wouldn't know how to check for this. I had a bike before which ran pretty well. This new one has a slanted sparker which is supposed to give it "better comprehension." I weigh 150 if it means anything.
lol "a slanted sparker to give better comprehension".
does that mean that it understands how to run better than one without a slanted "sparker"?

b3anz129

Aug 15, 2011
Boston
Possibly an air leak- usually around the carb and intake juncture- Does it respond to the choke? I suddenly had to start using the choke and it didn't want to idle right- I asked here- the consensus was air leak- I simply used electrical tape- it worked.

The clutch pads could be worn or the cable need tightening if it isn't "popping" the clutch when you release the lever- you should be able to feel the compression, especially with a 66- wears me out quickly!
I think brake fluid cleaner may cause the clutch pads to slip all by itself- so will oilk or lubricant. I grease the gears and it quiets the motor down, but you have to be careful of it getting on the clutch.
So finish the connection between the carb and the motor with some tape? Something I can try out.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
They can definitely develop an air leak over time. That combined with OP not shutting off the petcock can make for inconsistent starting.

Seal that intake! Once it's sealed, you'll get to know exactly how much choke you need to start almost every time.

SavageBlunts904

May 9, 2012
Orange Park, Fl
the case of slant vers flat head. imo flat head gives higher compression. and thats coming for a guy weighing 320. Make sure the intake is air tight and that your petcock works. take the gas line of of the carb and open then close the petcock with a cup or something easily trashed under the open hose. If the gas keeps coming. you have a petcock problem which is easily fixed. GL