Status
Not open for further replies.

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
How About For Rules .

1. You Have To Build It
2. Any Frame Is Acceptable Home Made Store Bought They All Count
3. Start A New Thread In The Contest Section Entitled . Winter Build Off - (enter Bike Name Here) -diy/electric/motor
4. When Bike Is Finished We Will Start A Winter Build Off Finished Bike Thread And Everyone Competing Will Upload 4 Of Their Best Photos To Show The Details Of The Build There.
5. Deadline First Day Of Spring.
6. Must Be Functional At Deadline
7. Vote For You Favorite Bike.

Hows That For Rules If Everyone Accepts Lets Start Building.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
How About For Rules .

1. You Have To Build It
2. Any Frame Is Acceptable Home Made Store Bought They All Count
3. Start A New Thread In The Contest Section Entitled . Winter Build Off - (enter Bike Name Here) -diy/electric/motor
4. When Bike Is Finished We Will Start A Winter Build Off Finished Bike Thread And Everyone Competing Will Upload 4 Of Their Best Photos To Show The Details Of The Build There.
5. Deadline First Day Of Spring.
6. Must Be Functional At Deadline
7. Vote For You Favorite Bike.

Hows That For Rules If Everyone Accepts Lets Start Building.
Second. Sounds good to me.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
I like the rules and open forum to promote creativity. We might just help save a bit of fuel in the process. I will certainly enjoy the work and rides provided by this little contest.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I thought I would post a picture of what I am going to start with. It's lucky I will have a long winter to build it. Mine will fall into the class of alot of machined parts. Anybody have any idea how old this Huffy is? I like the spring suspension on the front.

Attachments

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Are those home made forks? Adds a great touch of "old world" lookin'.
They are not home made, they were on the bike when I picked it up for free! I think they were added on because the bike had original paint and the forks were black. Should be a pretty comfortable ride if I get one of those shock absorber seat posts.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Score, gotta love Free.

Good shock absorption makes a huge difference and adds a lot to just getting on and going.
I keep seeing these posts about peoples bikes breaking and flying apart, I figured this old one, with some rebuilding and suspension might end up being alot more reliable than the two new ones I built with Chinese Beach Cruisers.
One was a Macargi and the other a Schwinn. They look about identical. This OLD Huffy was actually made in the U.S.A.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
This could be any where form the last 15 years or so. Quality on a Huffy like this is low. Notice the thin rear dropouts that are about 1/4 thickness. The rear dropouts should be at least 5 mm thick and forged or cast, this is stamped steel sheet. Most parts are similarly cheapest make available and function is not important to the manufacturer. You will be able to make it way better than the original with a lot of work.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Hey Lenny, I noticed the rear drop outs were really thin, about an 1/8 inch. What drew me to the bike was, the price (free) and I like the spring shock on the front fork. I will probably machine a couple triangular shaped pieces to beef up that rear drop out. Probably do something similar to the front. Also using some alloy rims with slightly larger axels.
Thanks for the reply.
John

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
HOW ABOUT A WINNER FOR EACH ELECTRIC DIY AND MOTOR KIT .

AND THEN A BEST OF SHOW SORT OR SPEEK FOR THE WINNING THREE
Just my .02. How about-

Frame mount Chinese kit. Must be a Chinese bicycle motor kit from a known seller.
DIY Electric.
Open Class- ANYTHING GOES. Commercial or DIY, V-8, Rocket, Twin engines....

Last edited:

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
Just my .02. How about-

Frame mount Chinese kit. Must be a Chinese bicycle motor kit from a known seller.
DIY Electric.
Open Class- ANYTHING GOES. Commercial or DIY, V-8, Rocket, Twin engines....

i think i like that better . especially if some one gets a v8 on one .... well i do have parts for a 383 stroker just sitting around ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.