Bikebug fuel problems

GoldenMotor.com

u2seek42

Aug 1, 2010
US
Hi all had the tank rust up again... I had it start to choke and then run and chug again. Pulled the tank cleaned it all and blew out the lines, but it will not run properly, will start and run fine 30 seconds and then die, choke it pump the bulb, and it will run again. for a moment, any thoughts before I tear into areas of little knowledge.

Thanks!

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
As long as your using a fuel filter i dont think you should worry about the rust. To me it sounds like your not getting enough fuel, try replacing the fuel filter and lines and if that dosent work try cleaning out the carb. While your getting the new filter and lines get a new spark plug it could be that its fouled out. O and it cou,d also be the petcock. If its just not flowing enough you can just unscrew the filter on it. Good luck

u2seek42

Aug 1, 2010
US
Hi and thanks, come to find out that the filter in the tank was not connected, a Micky mouse affair of a strip of fabric, the damn thing has a fuel pump mechanical, the crap would have hit it first, I've not taken on apart, and to do so will be removing the whole unit from the mount, and then if I open it will the diaphragm come apart?

Walbro carb is that a bikebug carb, that if so will be easy to to clean.
hate the idea of going into this with no idea of what I am doing.

And feeding money msamigo... not gonna happen would rather toss it in the trash.

Amazing that the air inlet is at the bottom of the unit, just where the tire will toss crap into it.
a remarkably bad design all the way around.

Will this gravity feed?

Sorry again rushed today.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
O.K....BikeBug? If you want to toss it out, I will take it. The "mickey mouse affair" is actually a really good fine filter.

The carb on it is pretty simple and yes, a diaphram type.

You CAN make it run on gravity feed, but you'll still have to clean the carb first, then hang a tank from the bars or?????

I ran a BikeBug for a long summer, and while a bit slow, it was smooth as silk, and started and ran every time, unlike some of the China Girls.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
As long as your using a fuel filter i dont think you should worry about the rust. To me it sounds like your not getting enough fuel, try replacing the fuel filter and lines and if that dosent work try cleaning out the carb. While your getting the new filter and lines get a new spark plug it could be that its fouled out. O and it cou,d also be the petcock. If its just not flowing enough you can just unscrew the filter on it. Good luck
This advice doesn't really apply to a BikeBug...it's not even close to a China Girl. Not set up the same, or really anything like one.

u2seek42

Aug 1, 2010
US
Ah yes I have 2 bike bugs, this one is the round tank type, when I got it, it looked like it had set for some time, the air filter was a ghost, and the tank rusted up, gravel and gas and a sound shaking thought I had most of it out
the filter as it was was snapped / broken off since the tank was clean and I only planned to run it for a week to play with. I thought I'd add a filter later, then one day is started to act up, rust in the tank again.

So there is a screen in the carb? would the rust crap have made it through the pump without wrecking it?

I can bulb pump fuel up to the carb, and get it to kick over, but the it is fuel staved... so filter clogged of pump dead?

As I said I hate the idea of opening any of this thing without any know how.

Thanks to all here, you have saved my sanity more than once!

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Take it apart, lay the pieces out in an exploded view" and go for it. You will find it all mucked up with crud.

What have you got to loose?

u2seek42

Aug 1, 2010
US
Hi Joe. I will try tomorrow have to have the patience to go at this.
**** of thing to have two of them and the one that was "working" when I bought it is on the bench with ? problems, the older one that I thought well this one will need work ran until this rust problem.

I pray that it is just a cleaning problem, not a fuel pump problem.
Thanks to all!

u2seek42

Aug 1, 2010
US
Ha the place that is the opposite of heaven has been **** out.
Too funny given the amount of @#$%@&^%^* that building one of the china girls brings about.

u2seek42

Aug 1, 2010
US
Thanks to all it came clean, without me opening it and having springs and bits fly out never to be seen again, was a bear to start but finnally!

Thanks to all!