Anyone Narrow A Rear Wheel Hub?

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
What I'm trying to do is fit an 8-speed cassette hub with disc brake into a cruiser frame.

Cut the hub in half, narrow it, weld it back together and fit it into the narrow cruiser frame. Run the disc brake on the left and the engine/bicycle drive sprockets on the right. The disc brake adaptor will either be bolted onto the dropout or welded to the frame.

This is for a 6hp Robin engine on a Roadmaster cruiser frame. No muti-speeds, maybe a single engine sprocket/bicycle sprocket chained to an SBP setup at the bottom bracket.

Yes, I know that the pedalling ratio will be 'way off. Pedalling is just for starting off, if necessary.

Would it be better to simply pry/widen the steel frame?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
It's bothersome- I've searched quite a bit for a rear disk brake hub that was old style freewheel and not cassette- I hate the whole idea of cassette hubs- and the bearing fails and you have to rebuild a whole wheel- just about as much as I hate the idea of threadless headsets- with little adjustment in height or type of bars one can use.

I haven't found such a hub-

I'm glad you've called my attention to the spacing problem-

Far easier is to get a LARGE flange flip/flop hub-
pretty common and a whole 700c wheel is about $60- $70,
and drill the six inner drillings yourself- in the alloy hub-easy-
you can multi-speed or single speed freewheel it

And you can even get an alloy hub and use 5mm TITANIUM bolts-
which takes the whole rear sproket and rag joint assembly down to an almost imperceptible few ounces.
A medium reach brake caliper works in a cruiser fork with 700c
and a longer reach brake works on the back,
unless you have cantilever braze ons- then you can still use 26" if you want.

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
You can also use the harbor freight tool for compressing shock strut springs to widen the frame, by reversing the hooks. Read the thread to learn the details about capturing the dropouts and pre-stressing the bends.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
You can also use the harbor freight tool for compressing shock strut springs to widen the frame, by reversing the hooks. Read the thread to learn the details about capturing the dropouts and pre-stressing the bends.
Could you please post me a link?

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks, Aleman.

Using a cassette hub, I'm looking to use a left-side disc brake and a single 36t sprocket on the right side.

If there was such an animal as a freewheel(threaded) hub with disc brake, I could sure use that instead. Then I might be able to use a larger and stronger single sprocket.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I have a HD 7-speed threaded hub w/left-side freewheel.

What I'd LOVE to find is a 7-speed threaded hub w/disc brake mount.

That way, I could run a 48t and an 18t on the right and disc brake left-side.