taillight and white wire

GoldenMotor.com

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
I have a problem with my bike , I hooked up a small 6v tailight to my bike . made sure that I have a good ground and then hooked my white wire to the light. the light will come on , but the motor will not start. I pull the bulb out and the motor starts. I have changed out magnetos to see if that was the problem and got the same results. is there something else I should look for? would changing out the cdi box help? I know that this system will work , because another rider has this set-up and works fine for him! when I pull the bulb out and test it on the bike , I touch the white wire to the bulb then touch the electrode of the bulb to ground and it lights up,but it also wants to kill the motor. (goes to ground) I also have a micargi cruiser with a 6v light set-up (headlight and taillight) and it works flawlessly and lights up well. the wire set-up is the same, light housings to ground and white wire to bulbs. am I missing something?

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I used Norman's 12v led for a tail light. I have a switch on the headlight but tail light is always on. It works perfectly........................

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
yeah Ive done that too and still no luck. hookwormrider1 is a member of this forum and also who I ride with and he has no problem starting bike with light on (doesnt have a off/on switch) and he has looked at my bike. its a pretty simple hook up but Iam still looking for suggestions.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I think it depends on the specific light you're using. If it wants to draw too much current, your motor is going to have issues running.

I've been toying with the idea of attaching a secondary generator to the motor for auxiliary stuff. Really I just want to find a much bigger magneto, but it would require lots of special work, and a new cdi/coil as well (probably not a bad thing).

mralaska

Aug 16, 2008
Deerfield, NH
I have ordered a head & tail light set that draws a total of 3W to hopefully not overdraw the magneto, but I plan on also adding a simple voltage regulator to protect the bulbs from excess voltage. If it does not produce enough light I have a halogen light bookmarked to try after that.

As far as your question goes; have you tried reducing the plug gap to 15 thousanths? I have seen posts from others who were able to get around that problem by reducing the load on the spark plug.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
no I hav'nt tried the gap on the plug but it would be worth checking out. if all else fails I have a dynamo generator I could install but I would rather not. any more ideas out there? anyone?

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I bet if you'll pm Norman he will tell you which led to use. It works great, your motor will run with the light turned on...........................

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
The bulb that is a secret is the headlight bulb.They are hard to find, he has to special order them. The tail light bulb is not a secret. It's a 12 volt led trailer light. I just don't remember which one. You can buy them at walmart, tractor supply and lots of other places. It works well with or without a headight.............................

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Here is the taillight LED to use Piranha #V168XR LED light. Now if you want a bulb I've got them as for the bulbs life I've had mine in use for over a year and its still working I run the lights day and night so if your worried about it burning out soon it shouldn't. I've tried the KPr112 bulb and it won't last very long.
Norman

Jun 25, 2008
also remember to ground the bulb properly to the frame, ideally the seat post. see this thread here This i think is the second problem (after incorrect bulb choice)

Jun 25, 2008
Fibre Optic Lighting

You guys thought of running a fibre optic off the headlamp to save juice and increase rear lamp brightness?