Anyone into PC Gaming?

GoldenMotor.com

Rmerac

Aug 29, 2011
Independence, MO
Just wanted to see who's all into gaming on the best console ever! A PC is capable of running any game with better performance, better graphics, and a better gameplay PERIOD than pretty much any other console, including the shoddy xbox 360 and revolutionary PS3.

Check out this sweet as game EXCLUSIVELY for PC's ONLY.
Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45

and it's soon to be released sequel
Red Orchestra 2: Heroes Of Stalingrad -

I participate in a gaming community, and most of the population has already bought the Beta of RO2: Heroes of Stalingrad. Amazing real life graphics, (better than anything seen on console), and awesome realistic, authentic gameplay such as getting a first person view inside of an IS2 Soviet tank, or a German Tiger! It's crazy sick! No more crosshairs, no more cheap radars, and no more redonkulous Huds. Stick with Call of Duty if you're expecting an every day same old same game. This game brings the best out of First Person Shooters, and leaves the rest of the crappy stuff in the locker rooms. TripWire Interactive, (Developers of RO and RO2), busted their a$$3$ actually visiting REAL WW2 battlezones in the Eastern Front. Amazing detail, great overall gameplay, and sick weapon choices automatically claims this game BEST of 2011. I don't care what Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3 has to offer, this game blows them BOTH out of the water and back to Boot Camp!

Check out this Detailed Gameplay video with TWI CEO John Gibson:
Red Orchestra 2 Detailed Gameplay - Interview with John Gibson - YouTube

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
RO2 Looks good. I'm looking forward to ARMA 3 more than Battlefield 3.
arma 3 breakdown - YouTube

PC gaming hardware has really taken off the last few years. No TV console can compare, for sure. And now that SSD's are becoming cheaper, load times are becoming almost non-existent.

4-6-Core, 16+Gig of ram, 2-4 vid card(sli) systems are becoming commonplace. The next Gen Xbox/PS will really have to step up their game to get anywhere close, lol.

I just need to stop spending so much in the MaB department and build a new machine soon.

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
Been PC gaming for years now. Still have a 360 for the games that are only for it. Such as Fable 3 and a handful of others. Mostly play racing games such as the Need for Speed series. Chances are if the PC version isn't better than the console version it can be hacked up to be better. Gotta get a new machine myself. This one is getting s little long in the tooth.

Rmerac

Aug 29, 2011
Independence, MO
Newegg.com and/or Tigerdirect.com will help you with that mate. I've been buying from them for years, and I've always had good reviews for them.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Unreal Engine 3: Official Samaritan Demo - YouTube

epic games wants and expects the next gen consoles to be able to handle something similar to this. a good pc for this would take $800+ right now, and doing it right would easily be $1500, but we're another 2-3 years off of the new xbox/playstations, so by then comparable spec'd hardware should be available at a somewhat reasonable price.

but just imagine what pc's will be capable of by then.

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
Never tried either of those online vendors. I've always run to my local computer store. They usually have what i'm looking for or can quickly get it if they don't have it. But i'll have a look at them and see what they have.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
i can say newegg is fantastic, they simply have a better variety and make it easier to find somewhat older boards that i sometimes need in comparison to my local microcenter. not that i don't like microcenter, but if i need something harder to find and specific newegg is the way to go.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Newegg.com and/or Tigerdirect.com will help you with that mate. I've been buying from them for years, and I've always had good reviews for them.
Same here. In July, I upgraded from Intel Pentium 2.8 Dual Coare to a intel Core i7-2600K Unlocked Processor - Quad Core, 8MB L3 Cache, 1MB L2 Cache, 3.40 GHz (3.80 GHz Max Turbo), Socket H2 (LGA1155)
and
ASUS P8P67 LE B3 Intel P67 Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA 1155), Intel P67 Express, 2200MHz DDR3 (O.C.), Gigabit LAN, 8-Channel Audio, SATA 6.0 Gb/s, SuperSpeed USB 3.0, AMD CrossFireX Support

I use a 26" HD Samsung Widescreen monitor for my main display and use HD so i can just plug my speakers into the back of the monitor. Also, i have a 19" lcd Fat panel that i occasionally use and then i have my big bertha... a 43" Gateway 2000 monitor. Its huge and heavy, not to mention old but is great for watching movies. Watching movies on dual screens is awesome.
I have yet to upgrade my graphics card. Its an HIS HD 4350.
I have a ACER i7 2.0ghz Quad Core
Lastnite i was playin' Battlefield Bad Company 2 on my desktop and it lags a bit when theres explosions. Easy fix. I've been playin' Minecraft for the past 3 months. Since Minecraft uses lots of ram, it is required for the player to restart the game ever 5-9hrs. Since im playing using a npc village mod and bunch of other mods combined into the YOGBOX, the ram fills up really quick. 2-4 hrs. Mods in the yogbox include: Millionaire, seasons, elemental creepers, mo' creatures, cant even remember all of them, theres so many.
The 1.8 update deadline is slowly coming up.
To buy a license to download Minecraft Click the link below:
Minecraft
For the Minecraft forum Click the link below:
Minecraftforum.net

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
LOL, now don't laugh at me; I'm a dinosaur, remember, but, back in 95/6 there was a game called Mech Warrior. It came pre-loaded on my first PC a whopping 166mz IBM. I got addicted to that game and finally mastered it and reached the highest level.
I'd like to play it again but it only runs on Windows 95. I still have that old IBM stored in the basement. I'm waiting for it to become a collectors item :)
Maybe I'll drag it out someday, fire it up and see if I can still remember the control functions. What a great old game.
Tom

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
You want a great old game? Warcraft! Counter Strike! or Age of Empires! CHYEAH! :D
Age of Empires...i've got alot of them. I used to love them. Still do, just don't play them hardly anymore. Onto newer and better things. The cheats are always so random. lol Like for the Age of Empires and Age of empires expansion, the cheat codes, were like bigdaddy for a rc car that shoots missiles that destroys multiple building nearby. They were fast as heck. Get a bunch of them and u rule the world. They just are really easy to convert. There were nuke troopers and another trooper that looked like the nuke trooper but has some wierd rapid laser gun. Other cheats were for resources of course, some others were of like babies on tricyicles with a hand cannon. Who created these? lol One of the coolest was dark rain. Once u type that in, all your bowman, not composite bowman turned into trees and could walk across water. Another cheat gave ballistas greater range. I remember one cheat turned villigers into medusa(warrior). My favorite cheat made the catapult triremes hit whatever it was firing at every shot. The target could be totally out of the way but it would still take lots of damage. lol Flying dutchman let your triremes move on land and water. In the age of kings, u could get a rc corvette that shoots cannonballs(looks like beebee's in the game). Took forever to take down a castle(when i mean forever, i mean like 10-15minutes with one corvette). 3 Trebuchets could take them down quicker than 3 corvettes. I'm surprised i can remember this stuff. I quit playin' AE like 6 years ago. lol

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
I'm glad someone mentioned old games. At the risk of showing my age. The first game that got me started in PC gaming was Wolfenstien 3D. I spent many hours at this with my 286 12mhz computer with 1MB RAM and a 256KB VGA video card. Quite a machine at the time. I thought about overclocking it to a whopping 16mhz but never did. The only other game that i wasted more time with was Doom. I had a much faster computer when i played it, a smoking Intel Pentium 60 (The math bug was fixed) with 8MB RAM and 1MB VGA Video card. Ahh the memories.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Yea, Doom rocked. There is a program called JDoom that has multiplayer co-op, with all original doom .wad's(praetoria, etc), doom2 .wad's, heretic, hexen. All multiplayer, openGL, mouse controlled. Good for a flashback with a friend, heh heh.

Oh, RTCW(return to castle wolfenstein) multiplayer was epic in its day. That game got me into mapping. Into Source engine mapping lately, Left 4 Dead(2) mostly:
Zombie spawners are fun:
http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a408/killercanuck77/mapping stuff/ent_start_140000.jpg

Age of Empires rocked, like the original Empire Earth. Remember the star wars version of AoE, lol.

Minecraft is too addicting, heh heh!

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i like sandbox games like GTA.
also some of the games i like are FPS but are more sandbox like borderlands.

i collect old game systems & their peripherals.
the newest console i have is a wii.
almost all my consoles are also softmodded. to play "back ups"
i also have backups of every game on every console ever made before the psx then every game for the saturn & dreamcast.
i think of them a things i can do when i get old a retire.

if anyone has questions or needs help with game emulation or softmodding your own console, PM me.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Ahh, a thread for us geeks. My first PC game was also Wolfenstein 3D. I didn't play any games but shooters for the next 10 years. Now I'm so burned out on shooters that I stick to strategy games like the Total War series. I still love the GTA series tho.

I have over 30,000 games on my computer, ranging from Apple II games on an emulator to heavy hardware hitters like GTA IV and Civ V. I still love some old games tho. Recently I got into the game Minecraft, it's a newer game but it looks like an old one lol

Rmerac

Aug 29, 2011
Independence, MO
So, Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad was officially released the other day, (13th of Sept.). I pre purchased two days prior to get beta access to test my computer's hardware before official release, and I got exclusive weapons and what not. Anyways, TripWire Interactive, (developers of RO2:HoS), already have released a few patches and the games is starting to become well optimized and player character stats systems are increasing in efficiency. A lot of people agree that the game was released a little before it should have been, but TWI are working their asses off to keeping it up to date with breakthroughs in the AI for the single player bots, and better multiplayer experiences.

Purchase it HERE

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i've been in the middle of some serous chrono cross playing.
playing it through playstation emulation on my pc.
my ps2 is a slim so it can't play ps1 games.
technically my saturn should be able to play it. though for some od reason i have never been able to burn a disk that my saturn can read. even though saturn is suposed to be the easiest disks to burn.
when i'm not feeling lazy i will be playing on the wii through emulation.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I also have IL-2 Sturmovik, haven't played since my Logitech flight stick started acting up 5 years ago.
KB and mouse don't cut it for me, neither do most gamepads.

I'm a big fan of flight simulators, but they get old for me after awhile.
Sometimes I'll crack open a beer and fire up MS Flight Sim 2002 and take off from a local airport, landing at another in the state.