1915 Motorcycle now 1915 Board Tracker

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Man that build is looking sweet. You should replace the coil lead with one of the vintage cloth looking ones. I just mounted my CDI unit in the tool box on one build. It fit perfectly sitting on the bottom of the box and the bolt holes were on the bottom so you couldn't see them. I ran the spark plug lead up under the gas tank and back into the top front of the tool box. Hides everything perfectly. Your new seat looks much better for a boardie.

72tx340

Mar 24, 2010
Caribou Maine
Pat you read my mind!!! I was thinking of that. Plus just ordered some white grips. I have friction tape for the bars so that will hide those wires. I see a lot of boardies with liberal use of friction tape. Just need it to warm up before i wrap it up!!

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Go for the leather wrap on the bars. Totally gives it a rugged and vintage look. This is still just a rolling chassis but the wrap will work fine on the throttle side. It will also allow the grip area to be shortened for plenty of room for levers and such.

DSC06266 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

72tx340

Mar 24, 2010
Caribou Maine
Pat i want that gas cap i need one in gold asap!!! On the racers i see they all used black friction tape. So im not sure if ill tape up the grips like that or go with white coke bottle ones. I do have lots of cloth covered wire but dont know if ill get to that before the show.

triq2ookvd

Feb 28, 2011
Cocoa FL
very nice build. Simple and very realistic. The seat is a much better match than that India knock off. During the show you'll get many second looks from the general population that will be taken back to that era for just a moment and that's worth all the effort. I displayed my 1902 almost complete Indian replica at a big car show and got more second looks than the 30-40K HDs which really caused them to groan and scoff. I thought for a second one of them was going to kick it over. It could be that I took a $15 bike from Goodwill and turned it into something different, all explained on the display board. Then you'll get all the critics who will nit-pick why it isn't a real moto-bike and all the differences who will say it doesn't count; but let's get real; I wouldn't display a real Indian worth $75K+ like that anyway. Its odd that I don't hear hot rod lovers pick apart a replica T-bucket kit saying "aww, it doesn't count since its not original". Please save us from the purists since not everyone has deep pockets. If I wanted pure I would go to a museum.
Love it or hate it, you got their attention. Enjoy it for what it is and ride baby, ride.
I love it, Nice Work

72tx340

Mar 24, 2010
Caribou Maine
All very good points there and i have shown it at a car/bike show last year. I display it for what it is my interpertation of a 1915 indian Boardtrack motorcycle. I show it as a replica tribute bike. I had the same thing happen as well. Most thought it was cool. Esp when told it was built by hand ( with help). But there are always some who will scoff etc. I did win 1st place last year against harleys etc. Thats when it was shown as a regular bike and not a board track bike. I think there will be more interest shown this way. I wanted to be able to show either way depending on the type of show.

This bike show also has a secret judge to find best of show. A good friend of mine did it a few years ago. I asked him ofer to see something ive been working on. He hadnt seen it before. Even he was takem back and thought it was so cool! I think people in general will want to see it. It will be interesting to see what happens.

This same show used to be a all harley show. I had a 1949 Indian scout that i brought to the show. The Harley guys were really ticked off i wanted to show a Indian at there show. They allowed it but said no one would be allowed to vote for it. They let the public do the voting. Even though my bike wasnt listed on the voting sheet people wrote me in! Of course they through out the votes but everyone was more interested in my old Indian than a 2001 chromed out Harley!! I had fun and enjoyed all the questions from people. As im sure there will be lots this year as well.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Its odd that I don't hear hot rod lovers pick apart a replica T-bucket kit saying "aww, it doesn't count since its not original".

I DO in fact hear the snobs all the time saying things like this all the time. People (who usually take their hobbies way too seriously) that show their cars will say almost anything to make themselves look better than the next guy. They will make you out to be the lowest rung on the food chain. It's the common man's opinion on the sidewalk that I personally am really after. If what I make causes someone to smile, think about a nice thought from far back in his life, and cause a good conversation then I am completely satisfied. Judges in car shows are usually the polar opposite of regular folks. If you didn't pour enough money into it you don't have a chance. Bottom line is, If you like it then that is all that matters.