I.D. Needed

GoldenMotor.com

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
I picked up this bike for 20 bucks from a buddy of mine who goes to about every auction in the county. The story goes that it was used at the local Ford plant to get around the plant. Which I believe to be true because it has an extra number plate welded to the top tube.which reads #151142. that number is also on the b.b. It also has adjusters on the dropouts which make me think prewar but I am no bike expert . Unfortunately the head badge is missing. I have scoured around the internet with no luck on getting an I.d on it. So I thought I might throw it out here to see if the experts will chime in.Some one I.d. this thing please and thanks,

Scott

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Scott,
I enhanced that photo for you. Maybe it'll help someone identify the bike.
By the way, it looks like a keeper to me, whatever it is. The saddle certainly is from a few years ago. I'll bet it was built before there was a Wally World.
Tom

Attachments

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
Thanks Tom, I dont know if im going to keep this one or not. But I figured it was worth $20. I have got 4 others to choose from. But I think it will be this one or the GT lts2 full suspension I just picked up. To many bikes not enough space :( Im pretty partial toward the older stuff. Oh and that saddle. (If it did come from the Ford plant which im pretty sure it did) has seen its share of stinky old butts for sure:)

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Curses! I should know what it is. I've seen that dead-straight down tube before and it was my first clue last time. If I remember, I'll let you know.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i can't tell for sure, need better pics.

the sprocket looks like a Dayton/Huffman (pre huffy) but it coulda been replaced. also, it's not a skiptooth. might be a knock-off.

the chainguard looks like a standard Wald, which came on many different bikes.

it's the straight down-tube that's throwing me off.

the problem with plant bikes, is parts got switched all the time to keep them running.

it looks old, though, and from the looks of the fenders it mighta even had 28" wheels originally. looks like a lot of space in there.

if you can post more pics i might be able to nail it down.

also, what size seatpost, is it brazed or welded, lugged joints?

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
Looks like the Westfield Seminole - Columbia I sold. Sorry thats the only photo I have . It's a 1936. Looks like someone swaped some parts on yours over the years.

Last edited:

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
i can't tell for sure, need better pics.

also, what size seatpost, is it brazed or welded, lugged joints?
seatpost size is 5/8. The frame is welded and its not a lugged . Ill get some more pics up later tonight ,thanks
ok edit just eent out and sanded a little more on the b.b. and found the serial # starts with an M and i think a G or C
Scott

Last edited:

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Like SlowBalt, I believe it is a Westfield like the red one in the background of his picture (the black frame in front is clearly Cleveland Welding / Roadmaster).
The chainring was likely replaced when the rims were switched. Like Bairdco, I'm inclined to believe the wheels were downsized, but unlike Bairdco I'm thinking they were downsized from 26" to 24". I'm basing this solely on the assumption the fenders are original, and if they are they look like the wider/deeper balloon tire fenders as opposed to the fenders on 28" bikes that were typically not as wide or deep.
There should be a serial number on the underside of the bottom bracket if it is a Westfield. It you can post it, I may be able to date the frame for you.

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
The wheels on it are 26 s...... the # on the b.b is M and either G or C 151142 not sure about the C so it would be MG151142 there is also a K and a 8 stamped in there too above the serial #.

Last edited:

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
That frame is worth some decent money. It is one I wouldn't suggest motorizing, but you could sell it to a collector for a good bit. The last military Columbia (frame only) I saw for sale sold for around $350.
By the way, the letter in the serial would definitely be a "G".

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
Wow I guess it was worth the $20 nice to know thanks Kilroy no this one wont be getting an engine. Look for it on Ebay soon unless anyone here wants a military bike lol