Advice for retailers.

GoldenMotor.com

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
But A nice deluxe Worksman bicycle easily weighs 25 pounds.
are we talking about just the wheels here? lol

my worksman with the motor on it and maybe half a gallon of gas in it weighs about 70-80 lbs i think. and thats with no front fender, and pats worksman adapter, which i think is overall lighter then the kit sprocket.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
are we talking about just the wheels here? lol

my worksman with the motor on it and maybe half a gallon of gas in it weighs about 70-80 lbs i think. and thats with no front fender, and pats worksman adapter, which i think is overall lighter then the kit sprocket.
Oh man you got one of Pats adapters(^)

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Shipping prices have gone way up the past few weeks. I am in Colorado and we charge 19 bucks to ship an Engine or kit. Actual cost is now 24-29 bucks depending on where. It can be 24 bucks to NE and 29-32 bucks for ME. Again.. Depends.. I will have to raise my shipping prices for engines and kits soon to adjust for the price increase. For shipping bikes that weigh 55lbs or less, it can cost around 40-45 bucks with fedex. closer to 100 bucks for UPS. My take is that UPS does not want to ship bikes. Any way.. You can guess about a buck a pound to ship anything.. But that was then.. Gas prices are way up.. So. Who knows where shipping prices will go soon. We know they will go up. That is for sure..

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Oh man you got one of Pats adapters(^)
yup, it went on faster then i got the rag joint off lol. looks better, is more center, and feels really solid.

unfortunately i need a tensioner, thought i had a way to do with out one but it just isn't possible from what i can tell, and pirates is closed until saturday so i can't buy one. could use another site but it would take just as long i bet, pirates is real close to me, and under the circumstances of time being no difference i figure im better off going with a supplier who i have had pleasant dealings with.

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
yup, it went on faster then i got the rag joint off lol. looks better, is more center, and feels really solid.

unfortunately i need a tensioner, thought i had a way to do with out one but it just isn't possible from what i can tell, and pirates is closed until saturday so i can't buy one. could use another site but it would take just as long i bet, pirates is real close to me, and under the circumstances of time being no difference i figure im better off going with a supplier who i have had pleasant dealings with.
got any pics???

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
i can post some tomorrow. didn't take any yet since iv'e just been trying to figure my bike out n whatnot. nothing related to the adapter though (well directly anyways, the adapter works and looks awesome).

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i don't know about the other people building bikes, but i get tons of e-mails from people wanting custom bikes. 99.9% of them are just dreaming, most of these are from people in the U.S. after a few e-mails and there still just talking i stop corresponding with them, can't spend all day bouncing e-mails to someone who is just waisting your time.
almost all e-mails i get from over seas are from people who are serious about a bike and willing to spend the money. most times just 1 or 2 e-mails and the moneys on the way. i've sold more bikes to people in spain and japan than i have to the U.S.
if your going to try and negotiate with a seller you have to let them know upfront that your serious as they don't have the time or patience to deal with tire kickers.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I mentioned in an earlier post that my GF did a lot of e-baying. We just recently put an American M16 bike on e-bay. It's a 1993 vintage, very expensive in it's day, and quite light. We had some good offers, so I went a bike shop and got a shipping carton. 57" X 8" X 30", 37lbs. Took it to UPS, $127. A buyer asked if I could shorten the box to 52". Shipping dropped OVER 50% with the 5" shorter carton.
If you think that the $127 fee was a rip-off, remember that it's the shipper that sets the fees in most cases.

dan+1

Mar 5, 2011
Texas
When somebody sends you a quote request, answer them. QUOTE]

Back on track, One vendor replied wanting to sale me a complete bike. I am sure it is a quiality product but I want to build a kit myself. He has yet to responded with the price for a kit or two.

Boy Go Fast responded with a quote with in 6 hours of me emailing them, they were not in the original five i sent out emails too but after I found a web page for them I sent out an email.

So day three of my search resulted in me ordering a kit from BGF. They offered up 1 silver Slant big mount 80CC Bicycle motor kit X-Motor X80 @ $140.00 = $140.00 shipping included.

as advertised on his website. Ultimately his communicating with me resulted in a purchase. Silly I guess but I like to talk to people even if it is just email.

I optded to get one kit at a time, since I can follow some of you guys advice and wait for a sale special. For now I will have a kit in the works. Also bumped up the engine size a little on the advice of another member. thx all

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
i don't know about the other people building bikes, but i get tons of e-mails from people wanting custom bikes. 99.9% of them are just dreaming, most of these are from people in the U.S. after a few e-mails and there still just talking i stop corresponding with them, can't spend all day bouncing e-mails to someone who is just waisting your time.
almost all e-mails i get from over seas are from people who are serious about a bike and willing to spend the money. most times just 1 or 2 e-mails and the moneys on the way. i've sold more bikes to people in spain and japan than i have to the U.S.
if your going to try and negotiate with a seller you have to let them know upfront that your serious as they don't have the time or patience to deal with tire kickers.
It's nice to know that someone else out there understands my pain. laff

dan+1

Mar 5, 2011
Texas
None the less I am pretty sure I started out wanting a dialog with a person, not a bunch of purty pictures on a website. Perhaps that point was missed or I failed to make it.

Not taking from any products out there, and I was referring to vendors of kits and parts not completed bikes or professional builders, I assume there is a market for custom built bikes.

I do not see one bouncing down these country dirt roads. That would be about like plowing a field with an Arabian. I am looking for a working mule.

Anyway got the ball rolling, and the education will begin.

Who knows maybe I will start up my on lil outfit selling the mules of the MB world.

On to the building now, and the studding. Wish I had a manual. I can tear a Caterpillar down to the shackle and pin and put it back together with a manual to work off of.